Hi everyone! No sites in Australia cover the mighty VR6 so here I am.

I am looking at increasing the air flow without going to an awful lot of trouble or expense. The stock filter is now replaced with a K&N panel filter. There was also an article I read on modifying the box. It was very easy - remove the box from engine bay, use a screwdriver to remove the plastic cone from the upper half of the box, return box to engine bay. Undoubtedly made a difference - very smooth, responsive acceleration from 2000 rpm upwards (previously didn't kick until about 3000 rpm).

I am now looking to self-install a larger bore intake pipe feeding into the bottom of the air box. Anyone seen, heard, or experienced anything like this?

PS good luck in the World Cup.

hi there mate :) im stuck at work.. so here i am :) you could always take out the carbon canister thingy (if it's legal to do so in ur country) and run a pipe down there.... or... get a BMC... look in the guides in the BMC section to see where the carbon canister thingy is.... im gonna remove it from mine and run the intake pipe that came with my BMC filter to help the air flow....

Can't see anything like the charcoal box - perhaps not fitted to cars destined for the Australian market??? There used to be a company called Midknight Motorsports who made cold air induction kits that fitted into the front spoiler. Anyone know where they went? I can only find references and dead-end links to them on websites but can't actually find the company.

I may end up resorting to some flexible or PVC pipe and a suitable place to create an opening...

If you havent got aircon on your car you should find a space just below the headlight on the wing side... room for a air pipe down there... but if you have aircon thats where the bottle is :(

PS an Australian wishing us luck in the rugby surely not??! see you in the final mate ;):)

Have air con - a neccesity in our summers. After some scrutinising, I see there's not much room forward of the airbox. It could be that any method used to try and create a ram effect may be upset by having acute angles in any pipe. There's a grille-covered-opening-thingy on the front spoiler that I was thinking of utilising but it's down low (means an acute angle to reach it) and is the current location for the horn. An aussie company called Aunger (see their website) makes these plastic cool-air passive induction kits for some locally made vehicles - just bolt 'em on. Unfortunately not available for the Golf. A shame because it is just what am looking for.

PS Someone has to rise to the challenge. Let's face it, it won't Italy or Romania! Those Kiwi's (New Zealanders) are a bit of a worry.

you can get a plastic air intake to fit in that grill at the front with a pipe to run up to the airbox (bonrath make them) but like you say finding the space for the pipe and the angles are a problem on the mk3

I managed to run a pipe down throught the hole left after removing the carbon canister but with the aircon pipes in the way it was hard to get it to the grill and Ive found its better with out it! you can move the horn... if you loosen the bolts you can swivel it out of the way

The all blacks are looking good.... all going well we'll avoid you or them until we (hopefully) reach the final B);) An Australia v England final now that Id like to see! 8)