Glowing disk, seized regulator maybe?

My early OBD1 MK3 Golf's rear disks have developed a problem. The rear offside brake must have been dragging as the disk was orange-hot, but I kept an eye on it and the problem went so I put it down to the -5 Celsius and the car sitting for a week. Later on the now familar burning smell returned and I found it was the nearside rear disk now with the problem.

We've had the calipers off both sides, the pistons move ok, the top sliders both needed a bit of de-gunking but now move freely and we eased off the handbrake cables incase that was the problem. A couple of miles around town and all seemed well, but a quick blast up the A road and the nearside rear is glowing again.

Anyone have any suggestions what else it might be, we're wondering if it could be the regulator maybe...

lol, his got even more time waste than i have

Did you use a wind back tool when you had the calipers off?

You say the pots moved out ok but did they return about 1mm after you released the brake? Sounds like seized calipers to me! mk4 ones are a good upgrade

So what do you all do when they freeze on? I can't imagine there are hords of MK3s driving around with glowing rear disks....or are there?

i suppose there are, give the dull owners of mk3's an excuse to enter into conversation with other humans "scuse me mate, your car appears to be on fire" "nah its a mk3 mate, its suppose to do that"

So what do you all do when they freeze on? I can't imagine there are hords of MK3s driving around with glowing rear disks....or are there?

i suppose there are' date=' give the dull owners of mk3's an excuse to enter into conversation with other humans "scuse me mate, your car appears to be on fire" "nah its a mk3 mate, its suppose to do that"

[/quote']

lol its happened to me all the time on the front with my old small 4 stud brakes, but that because us mk3 owners drive so hard

09032008424.jpg

Come on dude tell us whats upset you, has a VR pissed all over you and you've had panels peeling off your poorly made honda or saxo trying to keep up? Its not worth it mate writing off your car every time you want to go for a play...

So what do you drive?

i suppose there are' date=' give the dull owners of mk3's an excuse to enter into conversation with other humans "scuse me mate, your car appears to be on fire" "nah its a mk3 mate, its suppose to do that"

[/quote']

lol its happened to me all the time on the front with my old small 4 stud brakes, but that because us mk3 owners drive so hard

09032008424.jpg

Come on dude tell us whats upset you, has a VR pissed all over you and you've had panels peeling off your poorly made honda or saxo trying to keep up? Its not worth it mate writing off your car every time you want to go for a play...

So what do you drive?

CIMG0622.jpg

i dont really have a problem keeping up with you boys.... in my "honda/saxo"

even when im in my mk2 VR or my Alfa GTV V6 i can show you a clean pair of heals....