MK2 VR6 conversion won't start!

Hi guys,

I've just spent the last week converting my 1989(90 spec) Mk2 16v Golf. I went to start it today, the dash lights come on but when you turn the key to start the car nothing happens! I have put the red and yellow wire to Y1 but the fuel pump doesn't prime but my main concern is the not turning over at all. Can anyone help please?

Tim

ok look here http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE2.html

look at g1/03...this is the fuel pump relay GROUND feed...not live,find this wire then confirm this.

With out this wire attached you will find that injectors,carbon canister and fuel pump wont work.

Also in diagnostics(do you have this?) that them faults above will be in there and say short to ground or open circut.

• 1 month later...

Ok guys i've managed to get the car to start today so i'm over the moon and thanks for all your help. the new trouble is it won't run for more than acouple of seconds.

I'm no expert, but that sounds like the factory immobiliser - if it is the problem, it gives you basically two options:

- find the fault as to why the immo isn't working (fitting all keys, immobiliser boxes, etc etc etc)

- get the immo removed from the ECU

A friend of mine sorted out the immobiliser removal from the ECU for me in exchange for an amount of money (I can't remember how much, I'll check that with him too) if you want me to find out what he did?

Assuming the immobilizer isn't working then there are only a couple of reasons for the stop.

You are only running of an intermittent spark or fuel feed.

Have you fitted headlights yet??? If you have turn them on and watch what happens. You are looking for them to stay on and strong. If not or they dim then you need to look at the power supply to all things. Alternator/battery/pump etc etc. earth faults all that good stuff

Pop a plug out and hold against the block. Does the spark stay strong or stop???? Are you sure that immobilizer is removed if the spark goes???

If not then fuel and air is the way forwards...

Hope it helps....