Chains & Guides or Tapets?!!?

Hi everyone, i have a slight knocking noise coming from the engine when i start the car and leave it to idle i also can here it while driving below 3000rpm,

i have been told by one pal that it could be the tapets and another told me its the chains and guides?!

Can anyone post up or send me a guide on how to check the chains and what to look for?!

Thanks in advance

Easiest way to test is the screwdriver stethoscope. Set engine ticking over and work your way round the engine with the sharp end of the screwdriver pressed against the engine and the blunt end against your ear. You can stick an ear plug in your other ear to block out more of the background noise. You should be able to isolate the source of the noise quite easily.

If it's the chains then the noise will be coming from the gearbox end of the engine (right hand side as viewed from the front of the car) and will be loudest with the screwdriver pressed against the chain cover. If the noise is from the top of the engine (anywhere over the rocker cover) you are probably looking at noisy lifters.

Another way to tell if it is noisy lifters is to take the oil filler cap off when the engine is ticking over. It it is the lifters banging against the cams then the noise should be louder with the cap off.

ip

Ah thanks buddy that is really usefull information, i will definatley be trying this technique at the weekend!!

Are the lifters a big job to repair/replace?

i had a quote from VW earlier for chains and tensioners.....£770.... BUT if they need doing i will have to pay it!!

Lifters are a medium scaled job. Difficult bit is removing and refitting the cams without screwing up the timing. I haven't done mine yet but expect to have to get around to it in the spring (when its a bit warmer to work outside on the car). Parts are around £100 not sure what labour would be.

ip

Could be your serpentine belt tensioner too if it's a scary bad rattling noise. Mine did the same a couple of months ago, shat myself only to find it was that. The bearing housing breaks and the bearing drops (I think) knocking about against the metal casing. Still cost me £200 + to get done, plus a few other things.