Help - VR6 - no power - eats fuel - in emergency mode?

Hello,

I am having problems with my VR6 - 1992 golf. I bought it a few months ago and haven't really done huge amounts to it; I put on a new stainless steel exhaust and alloys on it and never got round to the engine before winter kicked in.

Well anyway, ever since I bought it I have thought that it lacked a bit of power, but nothing like I have experienced lately driving it. It is like it has gone into some kind of emergency mode. I have very little power in all the gear ranges and the revs literally won't go over 4000revs. It is embarrasing quite frankly.

In addition to this problem, I have noticed since I bought it that the fuel consumptions is outrageous, literally get about 7mpgs when it cold, reaching an average of 17mpgs when it is warm.

There is a sensor on the top left of the engine bay which looks like it has been bypassed, some have said that it is the lander sensor; could this be the problem?

I really do need some help because I don't know VR6s very well.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Nat.

doesnt sound like a lambda sensor from where your describing it. does it run lumpy at all?? its just i had almost the exact same symptoms, no power, low mpg etc, but it did feel very lumpy. turned out to be a cream crackered coilpack. new one fixed it a treat.. just my 2p's worth :D

The lambda sensor is found on top of the cat (under the car). Top left (as viewed from the front) would possibly be the MAF but the car would barely tick over if that were bypassed.

You really need to get it on VAG-COM. Anything else is just speculation.

ip

• 4 weeks later...

Well....stall not got to the root of the problem. We are in the process of trying to eliminate a few things. Have just changed the HT leads which were fooked and this has made a slight difference, but it still wont rev over 4000. It just restricts itself. Also changed the rotor arm and dizzy cap, unfortunately couldnt do the sparks plugs because we dont have the tool. Garage job. Also have Tried taking the induction kit off to see if it was blocked, but made no difference, strange that it was still loud whent I put my foot down though. Next, I am going to change a couple of temperature senders and thermostat and I am going to checked my exhaust to see if I have a blockage.

Hopefully, I will get to the bottom of the problem, without it costing me hundreds of pounds!