Wierd steering Issue ... not like worn steering rack symptoms...

Hi Guys,

my cars recently developed this problem whereby the steering wanders away from where the wheels are pointing lol!

Ok ive read the threads on a worn steering rack and my cars symptoms arent really like that i.e. hard steering on one side and softer steering on the other... etc

The issue with my steering only develops when I accelerate sharply i.e accelerating between 3000-7000rpm, as I accelerate, the steering wheel turns itself to the right (wierd!). Kinda like torque steer, the more torque at the wheels, the more the steering wheel turns to the right. however, while this is happening, the car is still travelling in a straight line (so I dont have to correct the steering to carry on driving straight)

which leads me to believe that its not the wheels wobbling around, its something from the track rods back up to the steering wheel.

Also when im drving at a constant speed the steering wheel goes back to acting normal, only happens when im accelerating.

so my question is:

- are there any servicable parts on the service rack? ie. bushes etc that could be worth having a look at to see if they are demolished.

Ill have a look at the steering components this weekend but any advice on what to look out for??

any DIY on the steering rack??

Thanks chaps.

From what you have described and what has been recently changed on my car it sounds like it would be worth changing the track rods & ends, ball joinst etc, bushes etc.

I did think my steering wheel wasn't straight after refitting everything but my mechainic made sure everything was equal (re: track rod ends). So I have equal turn in on both sides rather that one side being bias.

I think there are other bits that you can repalce (not that expensive) in the steering column. I'll do this as a matter of course.

My 96P reg 95k miler feels like new after replacing the bits mentioned.

Thanks Finny,

I replaced the ball joints and track rod ends a few weeks ago and since then the steering has stopped wandering around so much. Before it was all over the show and would twitch and turn all the time, but it stays solid, except for when I accelerate.

Ill have another look at the underside components etc and see if I can notice anything odd. If not Ill have to book it in somewhere. Thanks again.

Assuming that you don't simply need a wheel alignment to be carried out (fixes most steering problems) it could be the front wishbone bush. If this bush is worn, the wishbone will pivot forward slightly (using rear bush as an axle) under acceleration. This effectively allows the front wheel to move forward and inward relative to the chassis and basically increases toe in. Now, toe in is actually used by manufacturers (often about 1 degree) to increase straight line stability so this toe in won't cause the car to pull left or right. Instead it will cause the steering wheel to re-centre to compensate for for the toe in while accelerating. When driving normally, the wishbone will settle back to its neutral position and the car steering wheel will return to its normal centre position.

This might sound a bit far fetched but I had a loose bolt on the front bush of my driver's side wishbone and had very similar issues to yourself. My problem was even worse when braking because the same loose bush will cause toe-out under braking load. This causes the car to wander around scarily while you are trying to emergency stop.

Easiest way to test it is to get someone to check for movement in the front bushes while you try to pull away with the handbrake firmly on (very carefully as they will need to be lieing in front of the car while you do this).

ip

I got the car aligned about two weeks ago with a printout so I doubt thats the problem but

Hhhmm the wishbone bushes could be very true...

While changing the ball joints/track rods etc I did notice the wishbone bushes were slightly ripped but I didnt want to do them at the time cos I couldnt be arsed to remove the sump to the get the bolt out. Im planning on doing that at my next oil change though so Ill see how it goes.

If the wishbone bushes are starting to tear then that is almost definitely the issue.

BTW, you don't need to remove the sump. Get the car on axle stands (as you should do when replacing wishbones anyway). Remove the two 13mm bolts from the rear engine mount (trick to get to but doable) and then jack the engine up until you have clearance (being careful not to crush the lambda probe). Takes 10 mins and means not having to replace the sump gasket.

Did it myself. Now, make double sure that front bolt is good and tight when you put it back in (you'll need new ones all round).

ip

• 4 months later...

quick update, changed all the bushes this week and you were right, the front bush on the drivers side was messed up! there was a chunk missing from it when I pressed it out!

new ones in there with new bolts and its all sorted.

thanks again.