any experiance with a gruven billet short shifter

does anyone have any experiance with this item?

i am considering buying this for my vr to help get rid o the gearbox slop i am currently experiancing (ever since my slave and master cyliners let go and got replaced i have gained excess gearchange slop) and also making the shift a bit sportier (i hate long throws generally and the vr isnt exactly a short shift in the first place)

i understand it replaces the weak plastic original part which develps slack after time so im thinking is this the reason why i have lost precision in comparison to before

can anyone tell me does it fir on the gearbox side of things (in the engine bay) or in the cabing as in onto the the shifter

i cant decided weather i need this gruven part (£70) or a full b&m shifter (£140)

there is a consdierably price defference but i dont want buy the cheaper one thinking its the cure when its not, that would just be false economy

thanx in advance

Have you tried replacing the existing relay driver and driver components as we discussed on the other post? I found it sharpened mine up brilliantly. BTW, even if you buy the gruven part, you'll still need to buy the other part of the assembly from VW (1H0711202A), as this is where most of the slop actually comes from.

Additionally, I bought a new, non threaded, gear knob and gaiter from ebay. Since this attaches with three grub screws it does not need the threaded portion of the metal gear shift rod. This allowed me to saw 1" off the end of the rod.

Now, I know this is not a real short shifter (a real short shifter requires movement of the pivot point on the shifter rod). However, it worked REALLY well and I now have very little slop (due to new driver and realy driver) and a slightly reduced effective throw back and forth and side to side. Total spend was £35, installation took only 15 mins and results were surprisingly good.

I'd certainly give it a shot before spending big money on a gruven part that will only reduce the side to side movement of the shifter. I was all set to buy the full b&m shifter until I did this mod and now I'd say it's perfect as is.

ip

B&M is nice but if you decide to go with it, be sure to also renew the driver and relay parts at the gearbox end or you'll still have sloppy side to side shifting.

Also, does the B&M reduce side to side travel or only front to back?

Cheers,

ip

wel im realy unhappy with my gearbox right now, not because it really that bad, but because it used to be really really good and now im a bit spoilt - i know the car is capeable of beign better

so ive ordered:

1 - the gruven billet aluminum part

2 -metal cnc bushings that fit aon the bell housing to replace the plastic one

3 - a b&m short shift

4 - and when all of it turn up i will get part 1H0711202A fom vw

THIS BETTER FIX IT!

wel im realy unhappy with my gearbox right now, not because it really that bad, but because it used to be really really good and now im a bit spoilt - i know the car is capeable of beign better

so ive ordered:

1 - the gruven billet aluminum part

2 -metal cnc bushings that fit aon the bell housing to replace the plastic one

3 - a b&m short shift

4 - and when all of it turn up i will get part 1H0711202A fom vw

THIS BETTER FIX IT!