Pic request - Charged VR6

Hi,

I'm after pictures of a supercharged VR6 engine bay but directly from the front (Golf with the front end missing)

I need to see where the supercharger (Rotrex ideally) sits, mainly the distance between the chassis leg and charger..

Think I'm pissing against the wind but hopefully someone out there is a bit snap happy when doing work on their car

Thanks

This is how mine is done. You need to chop approx 7"s out of the front cross member and re-inforce appropriately. Ive also dropped it down 25mm and raised the engine at the front the same.

If you run a C30 it may not be as extreme. There is 10mm clearance on mine so you will need solid mounts! The radiator needs moving over 4-5"s also, especially if you intend to run the charger outlet straight out the front and into the I/C. Its alot of work on a MK3.

I dont have any pics yet but give me a week or so!

So the rotrex isn't a straight bolt on job?

I'm basically asking as I have a smoothed bay which has plated chassis legs so i'm a bit worried about clearance..

R32 pics would be even better as I plan to go for a R32 lump after i've shown the current vr6..

While on the topic, if I go for the rotrex on my current 3.0 VR, will I be able to fit to the R32 lump at a later stage?

Cheers and thanks for the help

So the rotrex isn't a straight bolt on job?

I'm basically asking as I have a smoothed bay which has plated chassis legs so i'm a bit worried about clearance..

R32 pics would be even better as I plan to go for a R32 lump after i've shown the current vr6..

While on the topic' date=' if I go for the rotrex on my current 3.0 VR, will I be able to fit to the R32 lump at a later stage?

Cheers and thanks for the help

[/quote']

Its not quite bolt on but it is fairly simple. Charger mounts are very different for R32 and 12v. There is nothing stopping you from mounting both below the alternator. Its a fairly simple mount, will help if you are good with metal fabrication at this point though. Storm can supply a blank mount. Chassis legs require no modification only the lower front brace as I said above.

There is little difference between my 3.6 mount and a 3.2 mount as I am using an R32 auxillary bracket, alternator and water pump. The only difference is Im using a C38 charger so its slightly larger.

Are you running 83.5mm pistons to get your 3 litres? I probably wouldn't go mad with the boost if you are.

I was doing a group buy on Rotrex kits but there has been too little interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant info mae, I really had NO idea that the Rotrex chargers are mounted down at the bottom, I always assumed they are mounted like the tradional VR spec chargers, pretty much answered my questions just knowing that :D

Is there a reason why your running the factory oil cooler and not a mocal type?

I am running 83.5mm pistons which I am a bit worried about due to the thickness of the sidwalls.. My first 2.9 managed to blow a piston out for an unknown reason (Had only done 62 miles in it).. I kinda went for the 3.0 for the sake of being a 3.0 2 years ago hence why I do think I'll run the engine as it is and then opted for an R32 lump and charge that, Ill save asking about the complications of fitting an R32 for another thread but thanks for your help on that mate

Is there a reason why your running the factory oil cooler and not a mocal type?

To be honest there is not much point the 3.6 one Im going to use will be more than up to the job. Even with the extra power I doubt it will ever go over 106-108 and I only use it on the road so its unlikely I will cook it.