Engine/gearbox mounts

In my ongoing quest to sort out the creaking/knocking noise from the front of the car, it's been suggested I look at the engine mounts.

So, stupid question: Where are they?

I think I know of three but I'm not sure what they are called

1. There's obviously the front one that sits approx halfway along the front beam more or less beneath the radiator.

2. There's the large one that sits behind the engine on the driver's side (UK driver's side) and which sits within a large cup in the subframe. I'm guessing this is the rear engine mount.

3. There's a smaller looking one on the passenger side behind the gearbox but I don't know if this is referred to as another rear engine mount or the gearbox mount.

4. Any others?

Which are hardest/easiest to replace?

Cheers,

ip

Not sure at all but I'v fitted new shocks, springs, wishbones, ball joints, arb links, track rod ends and topmounts all in the last month so I'm working through a process of elimination. Pretty much the only parts left are the engine mounts!

The engine does move but only when you do the pulling away with the handbrake on trick (one way to test mounts I believe). Even then, it doesn't move much.

Beyond the the engine mounts I'm out of ideas. I feel a trade in coming on :(

ip

wow great link thanks!! Ive gotta do this job in the next few days as I found out that my gearbox mount is broken, so planning to change the front mount and the gearbox at the same time.

Is it still ok to drive the car for a while until the weather beomces better??

Thanks for the link. Very useful. Looks like my knocking/creaking is unrelated to the engine mounts though. Took it out for a spin last night and noises started to happen when steering and braking more than when accelerating. Haven't a clue what it could be.

Could b the steering rack I guess since I get the noise when rolling the wheels from lock to lock while parking but not sure why this would also give such loud knocking/creaking noises when braking/accelerating.

Either way, since not likely engine mounts I had better take this thread to the suspension/steering part of the forum.

Cheers,

ip