Still Misifiring leads changed, coil pack swaped still problems

Hi all,

a few months ago i posted about my car having a misfire.

I got the usualy advice about new leads etc.

I changed the plugs and bought new leads, this failed to help, however i got told by a mechanic that VW leads are the ones to have as some aftermmarket leads are causing problems.

So i bought VW leads (they were from a brand called quantum??) the car still has a hesitant misfire at low revs, but also at 4k+ the car is hesitant and fluffy, not pulling all the way.

I bought a second hand coil pack from ebay off of a Ford Galaxy (same part), this coil pack caused the car to be very lumpy and rough so i changed back to my coil pack.

The misfire only occurs when the car is under load, i.e. revving in neutral shows nothing, the car is smooth.

I thought that the misfire could simply be due to being in too high a gear for a corner, i.e. doing 40 in 4th round a corner causes the car to be at about 1800 rpm, and this is usually where i get a shudder, however when i changed to the VW leads the shudder improved, and is less noticable.

However i still get the flat area at 4k as if the car is not getting its full power (this can cause some overtakes to be interesting)

Does anyone know if this could be something other than the coil pack, as i don't want to go and pay £100 to find that it is something else, as i have tried a different coil and the car ran worse, i have changed plugs and leads and the car hasn't improved.

I know everyone talks about Vag-com, but i don't have the connections and i don't have the software and i know no one locally who has it.

cheers for any suggestions.

It's annoying but basically, your only real options are to either replace items one by one until it is fixed or get it on Vag-Com. You're right. vagcom won't highlight specific events like a misfire at 4000rpm but it will tell you if your lambda sensor, MAF or water temp sensor is giving consistently poor readings. If the lambda probe was out for example it would probably tick over fine but would run out of power at higher revs. In this case, the Vag-Com software would let you know if the lambda is out of cal.

One simple test you could do would be to remove a couple of spark plugs and check their condition. If it is overfueling then the plugs will be coked up or oily looking. If it is underfueling then they will be overheated. The haynes manual used to include images that showed examples. Not sure if it does anymore but I'm sure you can find some online. Eihter way, if you found it was over or under fueling then you'd be able to guess that the MAF or lambda sensor might be at fault. However, this is far from a definitive test and ultimately you'd have to replace one or the other and hope that you got it right.

If you have a laptop or a mate with a laptop then your best option is definitely to get a vagcom kit off ebay (comes with connector and software) and give that a shot. I wouldn't have been able to fix half the issue on my car without this tool.

If vag-come reported that all was well (all sensors in spec) then you'd probably want to look at a new coil pack (this is one item that vag-com has no real visibilty of). They do come up on ebay quite cheap from time to time.

ip

could it not be that u bought a duff coilpack?? I had exactly the same issue and turned out to my coilpack. replaced leads and plugs first but the new coilpack sorted it. best thing to do if u can is use somones coilpack from a car you know is running properly, and see if that sorts it....

• 3 years later...