Petrol smell for first five minutes.

i have this problem, however my one is probably down to someone having cut the fuel pipe where it runs parallel to the top of the engine on the left hand side (when looking at the block).

anyway someone had put a piece of PLASTIC pipe inside the hose and jubilee clipped it up, as a result the plastic warped due to heat and petrol, so i swapped this for a piece of copper pipe and clipped it up again.

However i am still getiing a whiff of petrol, but no fuel is leaking out of the pipe.

I am trying to see what part it is, but i think its a pipe that runs from the fuel tank to the engine\fuel rail...grrr as it'll be expensive, and i can;t afford a replacement this month!

i had this with mine too.

follow the 2 fuel pipes from the fuel rail that run along the side of the head, they then go down and join the plastic pipes that go to/from the tank by the drivers side suspension turret. (hidden under the silver heat wrap thingy!)

where they join together one of my rubber pipes had dried up and cracked slightly. this only caused a very very slight fuel leak when cold for about 3 or 4 minutes and took me ages to find!!!!!!!

i guess when even slightly warm either the pipes were expanding to fill the gap, or the fuel was evaporating.

the only way i found it was to get someone else to start the car from cold with me under the bonnet so i could smell where it was coming from...

good luck - don't leave it too long!!

you may not get a fuel smell if the lamda is fooked, mine was, had no fuel smell but was eating petrol like a bugger, getting 9 mpg! and loads of popping

i had a fuel smell in my old one and it was knackered pipe at the fuel pump in the boot, might be worth having a sniff in there if you get someone else to start the car.

hmm' date=' my car seems to be going through fuek a bit quickly too, not massively, but it is noticable.

I should get my Vag com by thursday\friday so will see if lambda sensor is showing probs.

Where is the lambda sensor to be found anyway!

[/quote']

Front of the CAT