Water Temprature light flashing -VR6

hi,

The water temptarure light on my vr6 started flashing yesterday. I started the car from cold and drove away, as i pulled out of the road a car was approaching fast from behind so i had to put my foot down. The engine was cold, straight away the water temp light ( red light most left of the cluster with a swiggly line and stick going down it) started flashing. It kept flashing so i stopped at the end of the road and turned the car off, when i started it again the light stopped flashing. the temp gauage was showing half as usual. car was running fine.

When i got home i checked the oil which was fine, maybe a bit extra in there and the water was a liitle low but not too low. The oil cap had some white mayo type stuff on it. After it had cooled down i took the car fr a drive gain and the light stayed off, temp gauge was fine, reading on cluster showed 90-98 that was with driving it hard but the needle stayed in half.

any ideas why the light came on? i think because i drove it a bit hard when it was cold, car driives fine and light is off now. will try it from cold in the morning.

thanks

everytime i drive from cold for a short journey it leaves the mayo type stuff on the oil cap lid, does not use oil or water. water does not have oil in it either.

When you drive it hard for longer journeys there is no mayo.

how can i tell if the head gasket is gone, there aint no over heating either?

thanks