can anyone help me? my 96 golf vr6 has been serviced regularly and had last service april 08.i had the 'toothed' timing belt replaced,and new ht leads fitted 'black ones' as i drove away from garage the engine missed slighty but then was fine . since i have had new leads and belt ,there has been a tapping sound which gets faster with more revs,the tapping seems to be coming from the area where all the leads go onto the plugs. i want to get rid of tapping noise as is annoying me very much,when i brought it it was fine and i want it back to its original state.......can anyone help me!?

plus...i dont know if i have just got used to the power but eversince i have had this problem,my car 'seems' to have lost a bit of its power and grunt boo hoo! i would have taken it back to the garage but unfortunately i have moved out of area

all advice and comments appreciated

The VR doesn't have a "toothed" timing belt! It has timing chains!

The only belt is ribbed and its to drive the auxillarys like the water pump and power steering pump, etc.

As to the power loss it could be the new leads and/or plugs. I know VW only provide red leads now for some reason and i have read that the people pf had experiences with the VR being choosy about which plugs it will "accept". Make sure they are the NGK ones "BKR5EKUP" i use those and have no problems with mine. If the tapping sound is coming from where the coilpack is it sounds like the timing chains... :(

message to matt....it was the 'ribbed' belt that was changed,gonna get new plugs,the NGK ones,and red ht leads from VW....see if that makes any difference. sorry but i'm a bit clueless when it comes to engine maintanence. i;m gonna try get VAG-COM in the near future see if that will tell me anything,but i suppose you gotta know what your looking for!? thanks for the advice

I take it the tapping is coming from where the 6question marks are?

If so then it seems more likely to be a problem with the plugs and may explain why the car "missed slightly". Check if the leads are correctly on the plugs and if the plugs are correctly torqued up.

• 2 weeks later...