Average temperature reading query

My dad had a shot of the golf the other day whilst i was away, and he noted that the temperature seemed very low.

The car usually sits at about 75-80 degrees C when in normal running, if in traffic for a while it goes up to about 90.

however my dad wondered if the thermostat may be locked open as the car would usually run hotter than 70, and if it is stuck open the car could be running odd slightly due to certain sensors etc not getting the necessary heat reading.

what does your VR6 engine run at Temp wise?

cheers all

hi guys, im interested in this aswell.

ive been told my thermostat is stuck open.mine is usually at 96 and if im on the bypass/motorway itl be up 105 110.

wos up 110 alot when i had a induction kit on.

wot kinda damaged will it do or is doing to my engine? cuz iv had the car 4yrs and its been like it since i had it i think.

is a new thermostat easy to fit?

any input is very much appreciated

thanks all

k.w

hi guys' date=' im interested in this aswell.

ive been told my thermostat is stuck open.mine is usually at 96 and if im on the bypass/motorway itl be up 105 110.

wot kinda damaged will it do or is doing to my engine? cuz iv had the car 4yrs and its been like it since i had it i think.

is a new thermostat easy to fit?

any input is very much appreciated

thanks all

k.w

[/quote']

Yours seems to be slightly shut. Just get a new one before the thing boils in traffic;). Running to hot isnt good, and nether is running too cold. Should be at 90.

Remeber to get new seals and dont overtighten the bolts.

hi guys' date=' im interested in this aswell.

k.w

[/quote']

exactly the same here, should we be worried..

and how easy is new thermostat to fit. i have small coolant leak from thermostat housing my guess is its warped...

usually the oil will start to break down around the 120 mark. so that is the fluid limit. But as the guys have said. It should sit down around the 90 mark. It is ok for it to pop up higher if you have a trackday or the likes but the temps of over 100 definately need investigating.

If you are talking water temp then middle of the dial all day long...

and how easy is new thermostat to fit. i have small coolant leak from thermostat housing my guess is its warped...

From memory thermo housing is attached with 3 allen bolts. Should be easy to take off BUT in reality its a nightmare to get them off due to them being very stiff and very little room to work. I had a go and gave up in the end.