Building a race vr6 engine

Cheers kev, always grateful for ur input m8. Does £800 seem alot for the head i'm planning of getting, how much did it cost for ur head from the states? Only reason i thought about knife edging the crank and having it all balanced was the price but i may as well save the money for the cam's

Yeah £800 is about right, roughly what I paid for my Schimmel head. His heads use inconel valves made by Ferrea, which are very nice indeed.

£800 is good value for a head of his spec. You will struggle to get a head built to that spec in the UK for that amount!

Sounds like you're not cutting any corners mate.

All you really need are the Wossners, SPTurbo head and cams, GT35R turbo, a good map in that Emerald of yours and you will be well on your way to 600+ hp.......if the gearbox can take it ;-)

Just to confirm kev, are u saying that i don't need the rod's? Just the pistons, turbo, head and cam's? If thats the case the £800 i save on the rod's i can spend on the head.. Bonus if thats the case, just don't want to bend a rod or i think i'd cry lol

Hiflow's quote is a good one mate. I'm very surprised by that actually. They do some good work.

I recommend 1mm oversize valves (best quality available), plunge cut seats, port matched intake, fill in surface pits and full skim, Schimmel H/D springs, new INA tappets and uprated exhaust studs.

Don't bother with flowing.

That takes care of the head.

Rods - You don't need them if staying at or under 500 crank power.

Bare in mind putting 400 wheel power to the ground is going to be a challenge.

I would spend the money making the drivetrain bullet proof instead. Gearset, driveshaft shop axles and Helix or centre force clutch,

That way you will put down your boost for longer.

I fully endorse the over engineering approach, but if you're on a limited budget, uprate the things that count first ;-)

I hadn't heard of them before so wasn't sure how good they were.. After chatting to him a while i managed to knock everything down a bit.. I.e. Getting the flywheel lightended, balanced, and knife edging the crank for £300 which i thought was good valve.. I'll have to speak to them again to see what that £800 covers exactly, what valves etc etc