Is there realy any reason to change the timing chains (GFS chains, would u trust them)

Hello.

Ive just had alook at my timing chains (140,000) and as I exspected the top tentioner is realy badly worn and only 3/4 is left remaining.. The rest having broken up!

Is there realy much point in changing the chains along with all the guides.. Why not just change worn tentioner and leave it at that?? Money is tight and doing it this way just means getting the VR rebuilt quicker..

Any thoughts on the matter?

I have heard they can stretch somewhat over time. most of the time the chains are replaced "just in case" if they are not so slack that they rattle when running, then just changing the tensioners/ guides should be fine. especially as ur on a budget!

lol thanks for the replys... The engines got full service histrory from VW and looks very clean inside so its had reg oil changes so this probaly helps me make my mind up

The motor only needs the chains/tensioners/ guides and a headgaskit doing before it goes in. Got most the bits and the thought of getting in going for £30 instead of £200 is very tempting when I havn't got the money for the hole lot atm

Keep your comments coming or any horror storys of the chains them self failing

Wish I had done a compression test before it came out to check the rings :@ But where do you stop lol

To do the lower tensioner you need the box off anyway, the chains are then a piece of p*?s, seriously and they really are not that much.

Ask anyone on here who cares a tiny bit about their car and they will tell you to change them at the same time mate.

I CAR EABOUT MY CAR ALOT, AND I HAVE BILLS TO PROVE IT (opps sorry about caps lock), but i also have a 179000 turbo vr, im not saying dont do it, but why change it if it doesnt need it. however if it does, then dont scrimp

gearbox and engine are apart and already out the car.. VW don't change them at a given time.. There not ment to ever need changing as far as VW are conserned and they deff haven't been changed by the look of them

Its £30 vs £200.... £200 been a weeks work (which normaly gets spent in a few days

Im realy considering just doing the tenstioner tbf... I can see the that the guides deff get worn but can't see how the chains ever going to break

I would also reommend that you do the chain as well matey, especially if your not doing the work yourself, my chain actually blew, caused serious head damage, 7 bent valves e.t.c, so you'lle be really gutted if that happens, and it'll then cost you a hell of a lot more to fix again.

Exactly.

I know the chains are MEANT to last the life of the car but they do 1) stretch and 2) CAN break.

I wasnt saying you dont care about your car but I would do it without a second thought, the work gone into changing the tensioners you may as well do the chains as well thats all im saying,

I would rather wait another week, get the chains and then not have to worry about doing them in the future.

By the way the R32 tensioners are meant to be much better, they last longer.

ok ok ok now ive hurd from somone thats had one snaped it looks like ill be doing the hole lot lol :)

Tell me more about the R32 tensioner... I new about fitting the late R reg 12v tensioner but never hurd about the R32 one,, Have you got any part numbers or any more info

So what does everyone think about GFS chains

If you're doing the job yourself then I guess it makes little differnce since the box has to come off to do the bottom tensioner anyway. If it's a garage job then might be a little more valid since they'll no doubt charge for added labour. Even then, Samson has a point, removing the box is the biggest part of the job.

I guess the real question is whether you can get away with just doing the top tensioner. In that case you don't need to take the box off (as I understand it) and the whole job gets a lot quicker and cheaper.

What are the thoughts on this, do the top and bottom tensioners wear equally? Sorry for stupid question, I've not had mine apart to work it out for myself.

sorry, just finished reading the thread, you've already got the box off. In that case, check the chains for stretch. A good inidcator of wear is to try to bend the chain sideways. If there is play in that direction then thechain is worn (like how you test a bike chain). Can't give you any guide to how much play you might expect but if it is very slight then I reckon you can save yourself the cash.

Meanwhile, still keen ot hear what people think of bodging the job by just changing top tensioner?