Advanced Driving

I have completed the Police standard driving course of 3 weeks, this has made NO difference to my insurance and I was told I could now join the Institute of Advance Motoring but when I checked with tthe insurance this made no difference either?????

Not worth the hassle and expense, and the Institute want an annual subscription. :?

Hi Mina, I passed my test with the IAM a couple of years ago. Yes there is a small annual subscription I have to pay but the course is very worthwhile. It completley changes your mindset on driving.

Anyone who wants to improve their driving ability and enhance the whole driving experience should give it a whirl. If you are interested, I can have some details sent to you from a group in your area? let me know.... There are additional benefits with a potential saving on your insurance premium for most who pass but it comes down to the insurance company you go to recognising the IAM proficiency level. As a VR owner it might not be much as someone who drives a MOTR car but it all helps!!! If you want more info drop me a note. 8o)

Guest couzens
you need to do an advanced police driving course( and pass at class 1 level) to get any discount on your insurance.it helped a lot to reduce my premium...

Dave, are you a policeman yourself then, unless I am miss understanding you Police Class 1 is top of the tree, ie. traffic branch and high speed pursuits and the like.

The work I am going into you go to Police Class 3 (goes 5 up to 1), currently Police Class 5 so expecting to go on yet more driving courses hopefully soon.

The IAM driving course is a good idea, but despite how long they have been around, little insurance company's offer a discount. They always confuse it with PASS PLUS which you do straight after your basic test.

It wouldn't matter if you were a rally/F1 driver, motor insurance companies simply just don't understand motoring. If you don't match their computer criteria you don't get discount.

Rant over

:) :)

It wouldn't matter if you were a rally/F1 driver' date=' motor insurance companies simply just don't understand motoring. [/quote']

yeah, i've always been under the dilema of whether its better or worse to tell insurance companies that i race. too scared so far, in case they put it against me and put the premium up!

couzens, for my sins i am a police officer from the traffic dept! with regards to getting punished harder being an IAM, i would say it is possible if you were foung guilty of a due care at court. the best advice i could give for when you get stopped at the road side is to be polite- it works wonders....

ok, then dave, whats your thoughts on race licence holders.

obviously speending is wrong and it should be one rule for all. but say you pulled someone for doing 120mph on a deserted motorway and it turns out they were an experienced racing driver and showed you their race licence, and also they were driving a car capable of driving at those speeds safely, what would you do?

Guest couzens
couzens' date=' for my sins i am a police officer from the traffic dept! with regards to getting punished harder being an IAM, i would say it is possible if you were foung guilty of a due care at court. the best advice i could give for when you get stopped at the road side is to be polite- it works wonders....[/quote']

Nice one Dave thought you were. Where do you work and what do you drive?

In answer to the IAM badge, I haven't displayed mine for that specific reason. Also if you do have an accident, the other party will pick up on that and could use it to their advantage when claiming against you.

The other thing to note about IAM is that if you are convicted of a driving offence or are caught spending, you automatically lose your membership and have to re-take your test!! Mind you though, with the observation skills you learn, you spot those beastly cars/camera's in time. :P

where do i start... am a proud owner of a mk3 golf vr6 which wont stay standard for too much longer. i work in lancs where we as a traffic dept target criminals using the roads in order to commit crimes, therefore the everyday motorist shouldnt have anything to fear.. personally, the only reson i wouldnt display the iam badge is that it does nothing to improve the appearance of your car! steve, a fear of points is defo a healthy thing, but for me politeness always helps. afc8181- im sure i would use my common sense in a situation like that though i cant speak for all my collegues. if you were to bebooked at that speed you would certainly be looking at a spell inside though. anything over 100mph means you are in deep.... best save it for the track, much less bother that way!