Started the car up over the weekend (it hadn't been run for a couple of days) and watched the coolant temp gauge rise straight off the scale and the warning lamp start flashing. Checked oil and coolant levels and they were both fine.

Changed both 4 and 2 pin sensors at the front of the block which didn't make a difference. Needing the car and all the shops being shut I ran her up to temperature, saw that the fans were cutting in and out as expected and the oil temperature was behaving as usual so took her out.

While driving the coolant gauge and lamp switched between warning and 'normal' whilst the oil temp stayed within what seems to be usual for my engine; 98-106C. The oil warning lamp decided to start playing up too, so I've re-checked the levels but both are still ok.

Its an OBD1 Golf if that makes any difference, any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

it gets worse. This morning I started her up (cooland and oil lamps flashing as ever), switched to oil temp on the MFA as my only warning of a temperature problem and set off.

A few miles down the road I noticed the speedo wasn't steadily indicating the speed, but jumping a few mph up or down at a time as I sped up or braked - maybe this is always like this and I only noticed because of the two flashing lamps just under the speedo.

A few more miles down the road and the engine started stuttering kind of like being on the rev limiter but more jerky and then it would be ok for a second or so then it would do it again and it wouldn't maintain speed. At the same time the oil temp went from 110 to 88 to 52 then started randomly jumping up and down, so I pulled over and got recovered home.

Does this sound symptomatic of anything inparticular? I want it to be something simple like a loose plug in the back of the clocks, but nothing's ever that easy is it!

thanks again...

Tada! First connector we checked.. the main loom to engine one in the engine bay. All gunked up with water ad rust (A slightly leaking auxillary pump next to it most likely suspect). Quick spray with electrical connection cleaner and the lamps aren't flashing anymore, the revs are steady and the oil temperature is working.

Unfortunately the coolant temp gauge is now stuck swung over to maximum and the speedo seems to still be doing its jumpy thing slightly. Better start hunting for some replacement clocks then....

thanks for the suggestions, hope my misfortune saves someone some time tracking down a similar fault one day.