Hi.It seems you are used to them and how to sellect and fit the correct type.

Howevever I have come across numberous ill fitting and/or cracked sets over the years, wheels-n-all! Mostly on the front where they get the most stress. Either way the wrong ones can be lethal. God knows how many "ying tong ping" sets are out there! One size fits feck all if you know what I mean.

If you use them all year perhaps you would be kind enough to let me/us in on the brand you use.

Also please advise on insurance situation.

Please dont get me wrong. If they are pucker as yours seem to be then fine. I may even buy a set for my own use.

One things for sure though. I would never fit a set on anybody elses motor.

So far the best set of harlequins ive seen were on a VW LT. Just about everything wobled! Poor chap nearly fainted when I showed him!

Seriously though. If there are good sets out there. Please let us know so we can all have a tad more fun.

Hi venerable jetta VR owner,

This is my point exactly. Whilst there may be good sets out there (god I hope yours are)

There are heaps that are not.

One of the early signs of failure can be a sense of wheel imbalance, thats if your lucky!

My concerns are genuine. I have no axe to grind and I do not wish to cause alarm. Nor do I imply they are all duff.

I can only sugest that when considering such items researce them first. look for type approval from manufacturers. Forget the bull on the box hencforth known a bullocks.

Thank you for your response to my article.

Now where the heck do I get reinforced ones that my insurance company will approve of?

So far the best set of harlequins ive seen were on a VW LT. Just about everything wobled! Poor chap nearly fainted when I showed him!

Just because something is badly fitted it doesn't necessarily make that item unsafe as a whole... I've had work done on my car before and when driving home from the garage discovered one of the wheels was wobbling because it hadn't been done up properly. Does that mean wheels are unsafe? No, it means having monkeys work on your car is!