Idle Speed Regulation Fault Code - VAG-COM experts needed!

Apologies in advance for the length of this... :$

I recently modified my spare TB - polished internals, removed casting marks, knife-edged butterfly, opened butterfly full 90 degrees etc. I refitted it and reset the ECU (negative battery terminal disconnected for an hour). When I connected VAG-COM (I have a license) I got the following fault code (I expected something), so I set about the TB adaptation on VAG-COM as explained on Ross-Tech following the procedure exactly as here: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Throttle_Body_Alignment_(TBA)

When I went to the basic settings, I got an error in the four boxes, something like "Group 098 Error" and obviously the TB alignment didn't work. Any ideas - could the TB be faulty or have I missed something? *-)

My car's now idling at anywhere between 1000-1500rpm, constantly hunting for a constant idle & it's driving me mad! :@

Saturday, 26 January 2008, 21:20:55

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S

Control Module Part Number: 021 906 256

Component and/or Version: MOTRONIC M3.8.1 HS V02

Software Coding: 00000

Work Shop Code: WSC 01315

1 Fault Found:

00533 - Idle Speed Regulation

15-00 - Adaptation Limit (Add) Not Reached

It's a faulty TB I think. Refitted my standard TB and the adaptation worked fine. Tried the modified one again, just connected it up without fitting and the same problem. The main return spring looks like it's loose in some way (when you shake the TB you can hear it's loose) and I really am notin the mood to dismantle it. I'll stick with standard for the meantime, although the modified one did make some difference, esp. to top end torque (stamping on the pedal in 4th/5th gear at 60-70mph was awesome!) Thanks MaidenVR6 for the reply though!

Yeh Pete, I think if you are going to modify, leave it at polishing and de-burring sharp edges. The problem is I spend too much time looking on Vortex for stuff to do to my car... that and finding new uses for the Dremel I got for Xmas... :-*

• 2 months later...