as far as i know the only way of upgrading the calipers and retaining the standard disc size is to get the audi coupe 2pot calipers which fit with a little mod. i have a set of these for my mk2 but aint no were near fittin them yet. you would have to change the pads though to audi coupe items.

You don't say whether yours is an earlier or later VR6. I think I'm right in saying that the earlier (OBD1) Golfs (and Corrados) had 280mm discs and calipers. The later OBD2 Golfs and Passats had a 288mm setup. The latter are a great mod and a big improvement if you only have the earlier car. You can pick up a set of 288mm calipers and carriers quite cheaply, get them refurbed if necessary and they are brilliant. Obviously, they'll fit under 15in wheels if you're still running standard alloys. If tou already have 288s and you want to go one better, then look at the 312mm conversion from a Mk4 Golf and Audi TT. Basically the same caliper as the 288mm but spaced out more from the hub with different carriers. I'm told it makes another improvement over the already good 288mm setup, but not as much as an improvemment as the 280 to 288 upgrade. If you want to really push the boat out, then look at a Brembo 323mm setup or AP Racing 330mm kit. They'll cost you, but holy smokes, you'll stop quickly!! Finally, anything above 288mm will require at least 16in alloys. anything over 312mm will require 17in alloys to fit.

312s will fit under 16s, BUT depends on wheel style. I run 16s both Porsche and Mercedes and have no clearance issues.

The step from 280s to 288s has been said is a good step as the pads are bigger so more braking power, but saying that going from 288s to 312s is still a good step as they are better still