Hi All

Has anyone had any experience with replacing piston rings and shell bearings on a VR6 Golf??

Whats involved, rough guide??, any help would be greatly recieved as i get blue smoke on overun aftre 10 secs and this clears once throttle applied, no smoke most other times

Help me please!!! :( :( :(

um - it might not just be ther piston rings - the bores will need attention no doubt. Agreed rings might give you a short term solultion - but I'd be looking for a s/hand engine if I were you...

Has the car ever over heated? My old 2.8 did - it partially siezed through lack of water - but the engine lasted another 10k miles before starting to smoke real bad - so out it came and in went a 2.9.

Jules

it not your piston rings and bores,it will be the valve stem oil seals that need replacing and possibly the valve guides.I have just done one on a friends vr6 that had done 130,000 miles,and there was no bore wear whatsover.

but the valve guides and seals were shot.

car only smoked when you coasted down a hill,and when you re applied the throttle it belched smoke out.

A friend of ours recently rebuilt my engine.

6 new exhaust valves and guides

New piston rings

Timing chains and tensioners

Kent Cams

Clutch

The job itself was nowhere near as scary as I thought it would be.

One tip if you are going to do this- buy the special clamping tool thingy for fitting the piston rings into the bores. Remember the block is not flat!

You will also need lots of torque settings for all the nuts and bolts.

Failing that the the head done, throw the block away and buy a 2.9 bottom end instead. £800 or so I believe, could even be the cheaper way of doing it?