Thermostat stuck shut..............

Can i run my car without a thermostat until i can get hold of one ? and do i need to take of the whole housing or just the elbow where the thermostat is? my top hose is solid, pressurised header tank cool bottom hose.........overheating.............any help would be appreciated.................... :-p

if your gonna take the housing apart, id just wait until you get a new thermostat theyre only about £20 for a low temp one

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/store/product.php?xProd=5589&xSec=129

or £15 from dubpower and ask for next day delivery

get a new housing aswell just incase, as they get brittle and they often break when taking them apart, theyre only about £15 i think from gsf with the seal inc in the box, or i found my new one on ebay for £10

Thanks for your comments i was a bit worried cos it was booked in for MOT and it was a sunday so i thought it would be difficult to get one, vr6 bits being sometimes scarce. Anyhow managed to get one and fit it without too much hassle took about 1 1/2 hours (took my time) , i thought about a low temp one but the one ive got the temp rests around 80 degs on the motorway and up to 90 in traffic which to me is ok. Maybe as the weather gets hotter i'll have a rethink, long time to wait yet though..........................the housing all looks fine no cracks or leaks ...............:-p