Best induction for SC VR's

PS - my filter is now inside the drivers side wing space. It starts just behind the indicator and is approx 6 inches long - so finishes just above the bottom of the spolier, if that makes sense?!? So its right behind the air vent thats there, but behind the blanked off bit - so not in direct line of the air - so wont get wet.

Jules

• 3 weeks later...

hey - have you been leaving your car out in the rain again?!?! ;)

You can very easily mount the filter remotely into the front bumper/wing area. The only risk is if you were ever to take the car wading in deep water! :)

Just below where your filter is now, you will see a hole - about 4 or 5 inches wide and about 6 or 7 inches long. The circular charcoal cannister tube is usually mounted down there. I have mounted my cannister in exactly the same place but on the opposite side of the car. VW were kind enough to leave mounting lug holes on both sides of the car for RHD and LHD cars. 8o) To mount it over the other side, you simply extend the two charcoal cannister vent pipes to the new location on the other side of the car.

Now having done that, you will have a great big gapping hole where the cannister used to be - where you can now route your air filter into. Just use a piece of 45degree 3inch wide Samco hose and some large hose connectors (I made my hose connectors from some 3inch stainless exhaust sections using a hacksaw) - and clamp everything up. You might need to run a rubber strip around the edge of the chassis where the new Samco passes through - if its a tight fit, it can chaff on there as the engine rocks back and forth.

I'll be able to take some pics maybe this wekeend of mine.

Jules

Simeys car has aircon so there wont be as much room down there as yours Jules ;)

nah - loads of room! the yanks do it all the time. Heres some pics.

voila - one huge hole prior to fitting a charger (not my car):

z_eng_top.jpg

ribbed pipe used here to connect to filter:

z_eng_side.jpg

another angle of the pipe disappearing into the abyss:

z_eng_overhead.jpg

the filter from beneath - a-um-boway' date=' a-um-boway the lion sleeps tonight (sorry - Tight Fit) :P :p :P :p :P

[img']http://corallo.mysite.freeserve.com/misc/z_eng_underneath.jpg

Jules

ok smart arse it does fit even with aircon (Im deliberately ignoring the awful tight fit joke :? :() but would still be a small filter but going back to the original question I doubt a bmc or a viper would fit in the space in the engine bay where the filter is now

[ Edited Tue Feb 10 2004, 07:54AM ]

mina, blue igniter leads and there standard size.

binliner and where does the hose connected to the cam cover breather go? to a catch tank?

The pipe conects back to the main intake pipe underneath, which originally the pipe snaped the old filter and Kev said its alright without the filter. I reckon it needs a filter and that pipe capped off.

Hopefully Vince at stealth will have some ideas.