Another spluttering engine

Hey, mine's a very early VR6 Golf. I've only had it about a month and just occasionally when I put my foot down (only 'around town' rather than motorway driving) the revs jump about wildly, nothing seems to clear it apart from sticking the clutch in and giving it some revs a few times.

Its never stalled as a result or the spluttering but its caught me out a couple of times pulling away from lights or attempting to accelerate from a steady speed, and seems to be getting worse.

My brother's also got a VR and suggested it would be the coil, he had a known good spare, so I swapped it out a week or two ago. As the fault was some what intermittent though I don't think that made any difference.

If I've understood right from what I've read my next moves are to replace the plugs, leads and possibly hall sender. Since none are particularly cheap items are any more likely to be the cause than others and can I visually inspect any of them for sure signs of failure?

I had spluttering problem after i changed my plugs. turned out to be leads replaced them with new set and runs perfectly. When it was spluttering i stopped left the engine runing and looked under the bonnet in the dark revved it by and and numer 6 cylinder was having its own sparkler show, it ran fine before plug change so presume the old leads gave up the ghost when being pulled around as removed and refitted the lead several times to check it was in corectly.

A new development, the coil that I swapped in to replace the possibly faulty one was actually an 8v GTI coil. Does anyone know if the VR6 and 8v GTI coils are the same. I seem to remember the last 3 or 4 chars of the part number were the same but the middle group of chars were different.... anyone any ideas?

thanks!