My ABS system seems to be dead, the ABS light is on all the time and when I connect the ECU it can't report any codes from the ABS system due to a comms error. Any ideas? Is the ABS controller seperate to the ECU? I changed the front discs and pads a while back, the light came on before this was done, is it possible something needs resetting? the pads got very low... here is the output from the ecu:

2 Faults Found:

00537 - Lambda (Oxygen Sensor) Regulation

11-10 - Control Limit Not Reached - Intermittent

00515 - Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40)

30-10 - Open or Short to B+ - Intermittent

Readiness: N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 03: ABS Brakes

Controller:

Note: Excessive Comm Errors

any ideas?

I'm starting to wonder if it could be a wiring fault, sometimes I get theVAG number from the ABS unit to come up when I connect to it. Can anyone give me a rough idea of where the bulk of the ABS cabling is? I suppose i can follow the wiring from the sensors when i get under the car.

I intend to test my ABS controller in another VR6 at some point over the next week. Looking on ebay for a replacement i noticed that alot of the sellers list it as a GTi ABS controller aswell, theirs is an all metal construction and the has the part number 1HO 907 379A whereas mine is 1HO 907 379E and has a partial plastic construction.

I Have a friend with an 8 valve GTi and will take a look to see if it's the same unit and plug it into my VR if it is. I figure I can then connect to it via OBD andsee if it communicates properly.

Hi ya'll,

So it seems replacing the ABS controller hasn't fixed my communications issue. I'm wondering if I have VAGCOM working properly and if the real problem is a sensor or something. It seem weird that I can't communicate with either ABS controller. Sadly it's my everyday car so time is getting tight, I'm considering taking it to VW to see if they can spot the problem. I'm unsure if the ECU needs reseting after I've put this new controller in so I've unplugged the battery and will go give it another spin in 30 minutes.

SO it turns out that it was my version of VAGCOM.. playing up. The problem was a osf wheel sensor 210 VW want to charge me! but then it's 50 odd for the sensor and they want 50 labour so for the sake of 100 and not having to do it I'm going for it.. I've been without a car for 3 weeks now, please don't judge me ;) I still managed to save 700 by doing the head myself so it could be worse... rather annoying given that I'm selling it in January to buy a Fabia VRs.. am I mad? probably, I love the VR6 more than anything I've had before but every dog has it's day.

Could possibly be the sensor. I purchased one through a friend that works for Audi along with a number 3 HT lead and they cost me £66 for the two about 3 days ago and did it yesterday.

Had to strip the whole of the rear drivers breaks and rmove the shocker to fit it as well.

I did the front discs and pads about a year ago and it was pretty easy, I've been avoiding the rear pads since you need a special tool from VW from what I've read.

I've got to replace master and slave cylinders, pipes and pads alround on my landrover next month, I'm just trying to keep stress to a minimun on the main ride. Fair play though, if I could have got a sensible reading from the ABS controller I probably would have had a crack at the front sensor

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get your vagcom from ebay? My lead (and copy of vagcom £12) from Hong Kong will talk to the engine ecu and the airbag ecu but not the abs ecu (excessive comms error)

Very annoying considering that I bought it because I have a imtermitant abs fault. I guess you get what you pay for !!

Took it to a garage and they had no problem talking to the ecu.