The VR had it's first 'moment' since I bought it a month ago, yesterday morning.

Set off for work, all was normal but as soon as I slowed for a junction 100yards down the road, the engine cut out completely. Tried to restart and it was turning over, but very slowly - as if the battery was flat and it wasn't catching. Luckily it started so I could pull up, but it was very rough and as soon as I stopped it cut out again. Same thing happened - slow turnover and when it eventually started, it was very lumpy. Pulled up and stopped, luckily the engine kept running this time and popped the bonnet, checked all HT leads etc but nothing seemed wrong. Got back in and it seemed to be ok - pulled off and all was good.

It felt like fuel starvation when it was running lumpy, but I can't understand why it wouldn't start properly after it cut out.

Went to the hand car wash later on in the day and as the guy was walking around the front of it with the water spray, it had another little moment, spluttered a few times and ran lumpy, but didn't cut out.

Is there a sensor somewhere which could be a little bit too exposed to water (it was quite damp yesterday morning), causing duff readings to the ECU?

Cheers for that, been doing a bit of reading and that makes sense. One post on a Ford Galaxy forum (yes, there is one!) said that someone had a puff of black smoke from the exhaust.

My dad was following me last week and he said that when I booted it I got a bit of black smoke. Black smoke indicates unburnt fuel and I assume this would come from a coilpack problem also.

There's a fix using epoxy resin to seal the cracks - has anyone tried this? http://chris.quietlife.net/passat/coilpack.html

• 3 weeks later...

It has cut out twice since my original post, both times it has done it when I've given it a little bit of the beans, if you know what I mean.

I have a new coilpack to fit and hopefully a new set of spark plugs are on their way to me (bloody post strike) so hopefully this will solve it.

Last night, when it cut out, I noticed that the battery light was on and the engine oil light was flashing. Restarting the engine caused very lumpy running, turning off and on again one more time cured it and it has been fine since.

What does a flashing oil light mean? Could it be something different?

the oil light will always flash on ignition, mine has just started having the same problems as yours, realy poor idle, cutting out when the clutch is dipped.

can you report back if the new coil pack solves the problem, also how much was it.

cheers dave

Mine doesn't always do it, that's the thing. It seems dependant on the engine being cold and giving it a little bit of toe, then it dies.

I replaced the coil[ack last night, attempted to seal the new one with high temp exhaust spraypaint and it was running great this morning, but I'll have to give it a few weeks of cold damp starts to see if the problem is fixed.

I got it off ebay for £30ish to try and seal it as per the website I posted further up as apparently that is what causes the problem. Google VR6 coilpack, there's loads of references to it.

I believe a new coipack is in the region of £200 if you get it from VW.

Bore wash is when there is too much fuel ,caused by over fuelling or running rich, in the cylinder and it over comes the lubricant properties of the oil, and causes marking inside the cylinder where the oil can no longer protect the gap between piston and cylinder. I hope that this helps