yet more probs, brakes this time

guys (and gals) got a grind feeling coming through my brake pedal, plus the brakes go rock solid, it still stops but really dont like it, when i press the pedal it brakes really hard at first then fades out, if i lift off then re-apply its ok, it only does it every 1 in 20 odd presses but the way i drive the car about (as a vr should be) i really cant be taking risks with the brakes, i checked the rear brakes as ive recently worked on those and found a nasty score in the new disk, i suspect was a stone that got picked up and wedged under the pad, (very agressive chamfer one the leading/trailing edges) pulled it all aprt checked for damage and re-assembled, thats the only thing i can actually see physically wrong everything else is as it sould be, nothing loose or damaged front or rear. handbrake could do with tightening but thats it, fluid levels ok abs light not coming on, abs not kicking im taking it to eurotek friday but just wondered if anyone has any ideas i could try in the mean time to save a few bob and do it myself.