Nurburgring March 2008 (Easter)

My policy (could (*) ) exclude de-restricted toll road, any track etc "However, we will provide cover to meet the requirements of the Road Traffic Act." If I can get them to state, when advising them of my European trip, that 'Road Traffic Act' means that act of any country I travel through then they can't get out of their 3rd party liability, as German traffic acts apply during tourist driving

(*) thats the wording of the current on-line policy document. I think it's not in the one in place when my insurance started.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My insurance doesnt cover euro either I dont think

[/quote ]

Thankfully due to the wonders of the EU, UK insurers must now give the minimal cover required for each European country for free. Which in most cases is 3rd party, although many will match your UK level. But as I know your VR6 is only insured 3rd Party in the UK it won't make any difference to you.

All you need to do is tell them when your are going and which countries you intend to travel through.

For the geographically challenged it'll be; France, Belgium and Germany. But add Luxembourg and Holland as well just in case we get lost, have a change of destination. Luxembourg has the cheapest petrol in Europe!

TG

TG Im not just 3rd party!!

I just like to make sure Im coverd. I dont wana be in the same sitch as Pete as be stuck without a car in a foreign ocountry with a possible hospital stay. I wudnt b that daft. id rather not go if that was the case.

That is what friends are for ;-)

We got pete home safely :)

Mark.

lol and I thought you were joking Ben! :-)

Unfortunatley I was not !!! I was having a blond moment ( and as I'm blond I'm allowed to have them ;) )

Fair (get it?) enough that's ok then :-)

Tee hee very good :-d right enough of me being thick !!!

154 days or exactly 22 weeks to go ;)

Woo Hoo!!! Mark's been planning stuff to do before we go we're gonna be skint... but woo hoo anyway! :)

I just like to make sure Im coverd. I dont wana be in the same sitch as Pete as be stuck without a car in a foreign ocountry with a possible hospital stay. I wudnt b that daft. id rather not go if that was the case.

As has been said Kerry you will get home, as for accidents ie hospital treatment just get your European health card and have travel insurance you'll be fine..............metal can be replaced you cant!!!

Oh, I'm sorry, my bad. But it's not a year ago since we sat in a pub somewhere discussing insurance quotes and you declared that you where only TPF&T.

Travel / medical insurance is cheap and the right European breakdown cover ( NOT AA ) should get your car back, be it broken or crashed. Beware though, and this one is mainly for me, that some companies won't spend more on recovering the car than it is worth. Both of these are recommended regardless of the level of car insurance you have.

TG

http://z8.invisionfree.com/Northloop/index.php?showtopic=6887

This is a really good little video for all us newbies !!!!

I like that a lot. Ironic though that they put the not videoing warning over a videoed lap.

Crash helmets are NOT mandatory, just highly advised. If you plan on having any passenger laps, like I was lucky enough to do with Ben Lovejoy last year :-) , most dedicated ringers will insist on you wearing a helmet. Do not wear one in a car with people who are not, as you risk butting them.

It is there to be enjoyed, there are no prizes for being the fastest. There is always going to be someone faster. One coach speed lap is enough for you to say you've done it and your car to earn it's badge of honour.

I think 4 hours of 15+ VRs (*) cruising across Europe is going to be just as memorable as doing the 'Ring in anything less than a race prep'd porker or M5.

TG

(*) Some research is in order to find petrol stations / rest stops that have space for such a convoy. :-)

Ironic though that they put the not videoing warning over a videoed lap.

I thought that !!! and I loved the bit about " dont get cross if you get overtaken by a Golf " !!!!

I think 4 hours of 15+ VRs (*) cruising across Europe is going to be just as memorable as doing the 'Ring in anything less than a race prep'd porker or M5.

Could not agree more ;) would like to find a co driver as I think it would be even nicer to have someone else in the car for all that time :)

(*) Some research is in order to find petrol stations / rest stops that have space for such a convoy. :-)

Good thinking as we are going to take up a fair amount of space !!!! but in my experience most of the service stations in Europe tend to be larger and slightly better equipped than ones over here.

travel insurance is almost sorted as a seperate thing. As for my insurance I have since rnewed my policy.

I wudnt risk driviing on any stretch of road in England not being insured is all Im saying, let alone going abroad and doing it. Just doesnt seem rite.

Good thinking as we are going to take up a fair amount of space !!!! but in my experience most of the service stations in Europe tend to be larger and slightly better equipped than ones over here.

True, I've stopped at some huge ones in Belgium. But last Easter we did find some where even with only a handful of cars we ended up practically double parked. And having prearranged stops will benefit anyone without the use of a mobile or walkie-talkie, or that simply drops behind. Or races ahead. I'm looking at you As!

And having prearranged stops will benefit anyone without the use of a mobile or walkie-talkie' date=' or that simply drops behind. Or races ahead. I'm looking at you As!

[/quote']

I dunno what you mean Nige?? :^)

Andy in his Auto Focus Estate stayed with me...

And having prearranged stops will benefit anyone without the use of a mobile or walkie-talkie' date=' or that simply drops behind. Or races ahead. I'm looking at you As!\

[/quote']

I dunno what you mean Nige?? :^)

Andy in his Auto Focus Estate stayed with me...

I hit 127mph on that ski-jumpesque road we went down. I'm sure the 3 pairs of skis, snowboard, and a week of skiwear helped get me to that speed! The compression at the bottom was worse than the foxhole. :-|

Cheers,

Andy

i have enough space on the camera , to video the trip over, 20-30 laps and the trip back ................. :)

i guess ill keep it on .

and a few larger petrol stations would be nice, as most of the ones we did a splash a dash in, were no bigger than my bank balance