Mocal oil cooler fitting issues

Just wondering if anyone has ever fitted a Mocal oil cooler kit, I’m having a few issues.

The kit uses a standard Mocal thermostatic sandwich plate, a “special†vr6 extension bolt to allow the sandwich plate to fit in place of the old VW cooler.

I just can’t figure out how this shorter extension bolt fits, as the old bolt is push fitted into the plastic end cap. See pic...

extensionboltkx8.jpg

If anyone can enlighten me I would be really thankful.

Cheers

Ok, I think I found my answer over on the club GTI forum.....

[blockquote]You'll also need an early metal cap that goes over the end of the heat exhanger as the later plastic ones are part of the bolt and they don't seperate[/blockquote]

my golf is obd 2, any one have one of these metal obd 1 caps lying about they would want to sell?? :-p

yeah' date=' I much prefer the idea of completely removing the old heat exchanger to.

[/quote']

No point in the exchanger with the cooler fitted, you just get hot oil and water interfering with each others temperatures, plus its a piece of crap! :-d

Looking at the pics of the threaded tube on this post looks like this kit need the exchanger binning aswel

No, it shouldn’t really make any difference, theoretically it should take a fraction less time for the oil to warm up because it’s not preheating the coolant, the coolant may take a fraction longer to warm up though.

Really these heat exchangers work best on diesels, they were actually originally used on the diesel to help it warm the coolant by the oil temp as diesels run quite cool, but VW found that it also helped cool the oil on their petrol engines because it was usually hotter than the coolant.

Not a VR6, but I don’t run a heat exchanger on my ABF 16v Jetta and warm up times didn’t change at all.

mine oil warms up the about 60%quicker which is good, but the best bit i think is that when the oil is up at 94degress when giving it some, it isnt pushing up the coolant temp thru the exchanger as the 2 never come near each other anymore

No' date=' it shouldn’t really make any difference, theoretically it should take a fraction less time for the oil to warm up because it’s not preheating the coolant, the coolant may take a fraction longer to warm up though.

Really these heat exchangers work best on diesels, they were actually originally used on the diesel to help it warm the coolant by the oil temp as diesels run quite cool, but VW found that it also helped cool the oil on their petrol engines because it was usually hotter than the coolant.

Not a VR6, but I don’t run a heat exchanger on my ABF 16v Jetta and warm up times didn’t change at all.

[/quote']

the coolant heats up alot faster than the oil mate by the time the water gets to 90 the oil is about 50 :)

nice info apart from that

No' date=' it shouldn’t really make any difference, theoretically it should take a fraction less time for the oil to warm up because it’s not preheating the coolant, the coolant may take a fraction longer to warm up though.

[/quote']

the coolant heats up alot faster than the oil mate by the time the water gets to 90 the oil is about 50 :)

nice info apart from that

i have the lower temp thermostat on mine and when cruising the water sits around 75 ish (its been soooooo long since i had my car iv 4got:() this has a knock on effect with the oil it sits at low to mid 70s when cruising ie 60-75 mph

Thinking about it, yeah the coolant comes into contact with the water jackets so it should heat up pretty damn quick! sorry.

Yeah, I'm just about to put a low temp stat in mine. Going to run just water and water wetter, ww should have enough corrosion inhibitors without using any G12. Hopefully it will run a lot cooler on the track next meeting finger crossed.

Like you a few people have commented on the difference it makes which is great!