Calling All Auto Owners

I kinda think I might be in a minority here, but I am not sure. I guess that not many people bought a VR6 with the auto box. Personally I like mine, but I have not driven a manual one. If anyone can share their experiences of auto ownership I would be very gratefull.

Unfortunately I can't help you there, I guess from knowledge that the Autobox on these cars are quite rare... I was looking for an Auto myself, with no success, I've even toyed with converting my manual to an auto for the comfort more than anything else and to cover my fathers car when its away for servicing n' what not. The boxes themselves generally last to around the 80k mark before giving problems, servicing on a regular basis i.e once every twelve months or 12k miles should prolong the life of the box, the box itself can be driven as a manual and should be done so every once in a while again to prolong the box life and to make sure that the valve box and bands are lubricated properly...

Sorry I can't help any further... but I'd be interested on how you find it and are coping..

Thanks for the info. My car lasted 83k before the box went bang. It was rebuilt last week at a cost of £940, but it comes with a 2 year / 24k warranty. Not sure how long I am keeping it for, so if you are interested in a 96 Mulberry Highline I could be persuaded to part with it.

I got a auto box in my VR. Had a manual in a MKII golf too. Manual's are always nicer to drive, just changing that gears adds more to the drive, but by no means is the auto a slouch. Still love driving the car, esp on the motorways makes life so much easier. Have toyed with selling mine but not sure I could part with it.