umm just a quick question, ive recently put a 3 layer metal head gasket on my car.. obviously this has highered the compression.. has anyone had any problem with pinking after fitting one..?

i swear i heard some on my car when booting it... i have a chipped ecu and maybe the timing has been advanced a little more than std... could this cause the prob with the 3 layer gasket .. it was fine b4...

Unless you bought a spacer gasket specifically designed to lower compression (not higher, as increasing the distance between the head and the block increases volume of a cylinder thus reducing the compression ratio under NA ignition), it will not have effected the compression ratio what so ever, a triple layer gasket is designed to crush and theoretically create a better seal than a single piece one.

I can only assume that whoever timed up the car after fitting the gasket may have misjudged it. VR's are renowned for being difficult to time up. A degree or so duration at the wrong time will cause your symptoms. That's if it is actually pinking when you boot it.

However if the cams were locked off correctly when the head was taken off, then there should have been no issues at all. I'd pay 30 notes for a rolling road session just to find out if the car is running correctly, then you can pass blame. ;)

its quite a bit thinner tbh think it highers comp to 10.5.?

ive drove it with std chip and i think it doesnt do it now.. maybe due to the advanced motorsport chip being advanced up to much for the comp?

ill give it sum more beans 2moz...lol

10.5 is standard compression. Very surprised a three layer metal gasket is actually thinner than the stock gasket. As Jay mentioned I would have thought it would be thicker and thus reduce your compression. One metal gasket on it's own, like one from a mk4, is thinner, but more than one it is thicker. Either way I would assume any pinking if you do have any would be down to the chip, not the gasket at all. Some "off the shelf" chips do cause problems. I would recommend the full custom remap at Stealth mate. They will get the most power from your mods (I assume you have cams or more extensive mods, or do you have an obd1 vr?) plus the remap gets the fuelling spot on as it is all finely tuned on their rolling road, so you get a full power readout and diagnostic etc to make sure there is no pinking. All for same price as a superchip but far better.

If yours is obd1 get an enlarged butterfly for your throttle body and any other mods to free up the breathing of your car. Then the custom remap should gain you an extra 15 or so bhp. The later obd2 vr doesn't gain anything having a chip or remap unless it is heavily modified. Yes would sound like the pinking would be due to the chip you had.