if its and obd1 (upto, and inc, M plate) best upgarde is to fit later obd2 (N plate on) brakes. obd1 had 280mm, obd2 288mm.

performance discs and pads are only worthwhile if you have brake fade problems, as they are worse when cold.

288's are normally quite good...have you checked the condition of the discs and pads? and are they bled properly (is the pedal squishy)?

you can upgrade to 312mm if you have 17" wheels. (TT carriers, spacers, TT discs, and your existing calipers)

if you fit the 288mm discs' date=' is that all you have to do? what i mean is do you need later calipers/different pads etc....?

[ Edited Fri Aug 06 2004, 08:35PM ']

ok, not sure i totally understand what your asking, but...

the early cars have 280mm calipers, which are different to the later 288mm caliper ...but the 288 calipers can be used with 312mm discs once you get the 312 carriers and a spacer on.

I don't exactly hang around when driving, and i tend to brake VERY late for roundabouts etc etc......and like i said before i really can't fault them. May upgrade to 312's at some stage.....but more for the sake of having bigger brakes behind the rims....pure posability really!

• 2 weeks later...

well, i know that 15" solitudes fit over 288's as highlines came with them, so do gti long beach alloys (have tried one on a mates highline), and the late bbs cross spokes obviously would to.

only question marks is the early cross spokes (sort of dished ones)