Corrado VR6 problem

Hi all,

Can anyone help me with this problem?

My VR6 Corrado idles erratically for about 3-4minutes every time its started from cold, during this period there is hardly any power when foot on the accelerator and it tries to cut out.

This problem only happens when I start engine from cold and after this 3-4minute period the cars fine for as long as I drive it.

I noticed this problem two mornings ago when I filled up a quarter of my tank with tesco's petrol (about£15)

Could it be dodgy petrol again? I've since filled up with BP ultimate petrol so as to flush tesco crap out but after driving 80 odd miles today the problem still persists.

Anyone else experiece this?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Corrado does have an automatic fuel enrichment setting when cold, where the engine behaves differently to when warm, which if not working right can lead to an eratic idle. What can cause this, unfortunately can me a number of things. I haven't heard a fuel pressure problem only occurring whilst cold (except when you arent holding pressure in the lines which presents itself as a starts second time, everytime symptom usually).

As bigpants says it could be the ISV, your MAF, but also there is something in the VR6 which I can't remember the details of which effectively monitors emissions, with air recirculated around the engine to ensure it is clean before being dumped out the exhaust. I'm sorry to be vague, but I know it was only added to post 1992 cars, and you dont need it for your car to work, just to meet emissions regs. I had a problem with mine and disconnected my idling problems disappeared. I'll dig around in my Bentley Manual and see if I can figure out what it was for you.

Cheers,

Mark