I'm in process of replacing timing chain/tensioners etc, on inspecting the intermediate shaft there seems to be some play when turning the shaft from left to right and the faster it is done it seems to have that marbles in a tin noise! has any one else had this as i don't want to put everything back and still have a noise. A quick responce would be grateful. Not sure i presume it is a bearing and looks like retained by 4 pozi type bolts. Also any precautions on removal/refit of this item. Many thanks!!!

The shaft is about 4" long and goes to a gear that then drives a shaft to the oil pump, the bearings are coated brass (like a big end or main bearing). Not sure about the noise tho?? turning that shaft will turn the oil pump so maybe check there aswell. hope this helps.

Thanks for that. has any body heard of this having to be replaced before? does it just slide out when the 4 bolts are removed or is it best left alone? I have recently had a new oil pump fitted so wouldn't think it was that making the noise. This jobs turning into a night mare!!! and i just want to wake up and find it was all a dream and the pixies have fixed my VR6

It should just slide out, when i took mine out i removed it at the same time as the oil pump shaft (sorry- not sure of it's propper name-the one going downwards towards the pump) it's under a round cap on the back of the block, they both come apart easy anyway, sounds to me like you need to check them.

• 3 weeks later...