P16 VMR - 2.9 Schrick'd VR

Cheers Mofo, it is getting there. I was after a US tailgate but have given up, plus the seem to be appearing on a few Mk3's these days. Would rather spend money on making the thing faster than look shinier these days as mint paintwork on a daily is a never ending battle. Saying that I have been toying with a colour change lol

Thanks Jim. Some scaffolding for the inside should be arriving in the post today so will hopefully get some pics of the cage trial fitted at the weekend.

ECU went off to Stealth yesterday, waiting for it to come back is like waiting for Christmas :)

Well after first ordering a cage for the golf on the 26th February, being mucked around by AAT for god knows how long and finally having to cancel my order, this arrived on my door step after ordering one from another company...

Rollcage.jpg

Going to trial fit it at the weekend and was also a good day as Vince called to say he'd done my ecu. Happy boy,

Thanks,

Marty

Thanks apd.

I did consider a charger at one point, it is not really what the car was built for. I have a pretty high spec head to go on, with bigger schirck valves and will be buying some 268's for it, so will be keeping it naturally aspirated as it suits my driving style better and prefer it. I do think I will buy a forced induced car next, but it will leave the factory that way.

i have the stealth BVH,if you're going down the the FI route buy the the 248s instead of the 268s as they are a better match to the vgi/sc combo as i have.you will only end up taking them out!with the sc and all the mods mentioned it would be a pussy cat to drive until you hit 2k revs anyway.

Thanks for the advice apd.

Higher reving N/A suits me better though so will go for the 268's with the BVH. I don't like how anyone can bolt on a charger, prefer the more engineered / individual route. I'd rather spend the cash a charger would set me back on a set of throttle bodies...

Thanks for the advice apd.

Higher reving N/A suits me better though so will go for the 268's with the BVH. I don't like how anyone can bolt on a charger' date=' prefer the more engineered / individual route. I'd rather spend the cash a charger would set me back on a set of throttle bodies...

[/quote']

You've got the right idea.

While s/c is great for top-end power, having gone both routes, I think that BVH+Schrick+268s is definitely the most "driveable" setup on a VR6. All you need now is a 6-speed close ratio box. Start saving!!

Lovely looking car, too. Have you thought about colour coding the flat section of the Schrick in red? I reckon that would look awesome!

Thanks Antera,

To be honest I don't like the red in the engine bay. My silver rocker cover is waiting to go on when I do the head (wasn't back from the coaters in time to get it on) and the strut brace is getting done grey to match the cage etc.

Could pick out the schrick logo etc in red I suppose, I quite like it the way it is though as the manifold has a glitter finish to it when the sun catches it but looks understated at other times :)

I was looking at the prices of the boxes as I did fancy one, won't be happening next year due to funds though. Just going to stick a quaiffe in the standard box when I get the head and cams on, then save like mad for throttle bodies...

Thanks for your comments though, good to hear from someone who has gone both routes. I feel the N/A route is best for me and my driving style / what I use the car for.

Spoke with Vince today so hopefully get my ecu back sat and fit the big bore t/b I have sitting to go on :-d

• 3 weeks later...

Well the car is off the road getting the front end rebuilt etc, so thought it was a good time to get some new mods fitted.

Carbonio induction kit...

Mods1.jpg

Mods2.jpg

Fitted..

Mods3.jpg

Mods4.jpg

Didn't like the ebc's so bought these bad boys

Mods5.jpg

Cargo net for the cage

Mods6.jpg

New gear knob

Mods7.jpg

Mocals finest...

Mods8.jpg

Some weight saving on the go, door cards off and C pillar attacked.

Mods9.jpg

Mods11.jpg

The cage trial fitted.

Mods10.jpg

Mods12.jpg

Hopefully have it done by the end of the weekend with the help of the old boy.

Thanks for the very kind words.

Ye still lots to be done, will have to wait till next year to get some of the bits I have sitting on as the VR seems to be very good at eating all my money!

Will hopefully get some pics of it taken once all the bits are on and before it heads off on its trip to the Fatherland

Oops, never noticed you'd replied Rich, ye I will hopefully be there all being well. I have the hotel booked.

We get back from Germany on the Wednesday and go to ed38 on the Friday. Few miles on her that week and I hate to think of the fuel bill. Are you heading down?

Couldn't be bothered wih the whole putting up / taking down a tent and the rain made it miserable last year so wanted to have somewhere warm to have a shower and sleep.

Going over with a few of the boys, have had the trip planned for a while. We are away for 6 days and spending 4 of them at the Nurburgring, can't wait to give the car a good work out and tick of one of the things off on my to do list!

• 1 month later...

Haven't had a chance to post on here since ed38. Thanks for letting me on the club stand and a shame I didn't get to speak to more of you.

Well I woke upearly today so thought I would make the most of the day and give the VR its biannual polish :laugh:

Didn't use anything fancy but thought it came up well, here are the pics...

P1000405.jpg

P1000408.jpg

P1000420.jpg

P1000426.jpg

P1000424.jpg

P1000422.jpg

P1000417.jpg

P1000427.jpg

P1000416.jpg

P1000427.jpg

P1000419.jpg

P1000431.jpg