Irish lad with country mechanics. is my head gasket brown bread?

I brought my v6 golf into ireland a month ago from manchester and brought it to mechanics for the once over. Too my shock he told me head gasket was fooked. I noticed I had to refill the coolant resevoir to refill level from about half full after about 500 miles of driving. I can see i am loosing water from the thermostat housing a common problem i have read about thanks to this site. I have no oil in my coolant, or water on dipstick, i also have no problems with temperature as car runs nearly at constant 90 degrees when warm. The car can sometimes be unresponsive low in the revs and then after a slight knocking noise it takes off. could this also point towards head gasket. Any advice would greatly be appreciated as iv had 3 "mechanics" look at it and none of thes could give me a straight answer.

I would start by replacing the thermostat housing as is knackered anyway then monitor water usage again. Garages can do a test for exhaust gas in the the coolant so ask for one of those but try to be there to see the result. If it comes back clear there still is a chance it has gone though.

The unresponiveness could be an air leak so check all the pipes are on properly and the clips are tight.