[moved] (Airbag Igniter-Driver side N-95) - Airbag Issue

Ok, very new to the vr ownership, bought one last week, did not bother to look at the abs/airbag light on dash, anyways after 3 days of ownership the heater matrix gave up, so off to GSF and bought a new one, upon trying to remove the dash (Absolute pain) I noticed that the airbag/abs lights were not connected, so hooked them up and both remained on?? got a mate to test it using a diagnostic tool and it reports this error....... Airbag Igniter-Driver side N-95 the fault code is 024C ? not sure what to look for, opened up airbag reffited the connector to the airbag still same issue, can anyone help? As for the abs, I think the sensor on the front offside is gone, anyone know where I could get one cheap?

Thanks

PS: Also does anyone know if it is possible to fit a new heater matrix without removing the entire dash?

hi and welcome, the air bag issue my be down to the sensor that sets the air bag off, located somewhere on the front of the car,(not sure where?) someone on here will now for sure, as for the heater matrix the whole dash does have to come out, hope this helps.

Ok, did you have alook at the pdf in the link I posted? As that points to the airbag unit and states that the igniter is builtin, however I think the pdf is for the mk4? Have a look and let me know what you think.

Cheers

Yeah, I had a look and i've seen it somewhere that it's the same as the audi article...Just can't remember where I've seen it lol. It can't be that bad. disconnect the battery, have a brew, undo two screws to release the airbag then maybe remove the wheel but it can't be that hard...

• 3 months later...

Here's a quick how-to...

1. Disconnect the battery negative

2. Undo the two 5mm allen bolts on the back of the steering wheel

2a13357a.jpg

3. Carefully remove the airbag unit from the wheel

4. Undo the yellow wiring connector from the back of the airbag (dont pull on the connector as it'll come apart - lever it from underneath witha small screwdriver

7315b64a.jpg

5. Undo the steering wheel with a 24mm socket

6. Remove the steering column cowling and undo the slip ring wiring connector there

7. Reassemble torquing the wheel to 37 ft/lb (according to Haynes)

You then need to clear the fault using VAGCOM or similar...

yeah, that's the cover for it - it's just a long piece of wire that's wound in a coil - VW sell them at about 80 - 90 quid, but from speaking to them, it's a really common part and is fitted to the following

lupo tdi 99-06

passat 92-97

polo 95-02

vento 92-98

Ok, still not entirely with you buddy, would it not be cheaper to buy a replacement steering wheel? Also would the connector be a blue one that plugs into the other end of the yellow wiring connector? Reason I ask is because I have a blue connector lying about in the steering column cowling.

PS: Sorry to be a pain!