• 2 weeks later...

There are quite a few previous threads on this topic. Try searching on 'induction' etc. ;)

To summarise: it all depends what you're trying to achieve and how much you're prepared to spend!

Some people just want to increase the induction noise, others just want to maximise power.

One thing you will find if you search through all the other threads on this topic is that on the whole most people love what they've got and think its the best - be it K&N, RAM-air, Green Cone, Carbonio etc. So there is some conflicting advice!

The Carbonio (BMC CDA) is a quality product, but expensive, and for some people - its too quiet. [Fitting guide in members area - looks like a lot of hassle if you're going to do it properly, i.e. fit a cold air feed, NOT a 5 minute job]. Also unless you spend the time to fit the cold air feed any performance gains will be minimal - though this applies to all induction kits: fitting a cold air feed will give better performance than with no cold air feed. The issue for increasing performance for all induction kits is that the engine bay on a VR6 is a hot place, and you always get more power from cold air. Therefore the increase in air-flow that an induction kit has over standard air-box (which should mean more power) is negated by the fact that the air being drawn in is hotter than if using the standard air-box. We are talking about only a few bhp here so you'd probably need a dyno to spot the difference!

I just wanted more induction noise and having used up my budget on servicing, tyres and brakes, I just removed the standard air-intake 'trumpet' that goes from the front of the air-box to the inner wing. This gave me more induction noise (which I wanted)- so its louder than standard (probably comparable to the Carbonio because the air intake 'hole' is about the same size), but not as loud as having an induction kit and no perceptiple difference in performance. Cost £0.00 and took 5mins. Bargain! :)

thanks what a good answer i suppose i wanted my bora to breath as best it can within the budjet i can afford which atm is not very much coz i also need 2 new tyres which make i am still undecided about, so the induction roar of all 6 and 24 valves singing the tune i love has to come second to the air needed to inhale deeply so i have decided to see my friends at abp motorsport who also recomended an k&n kit and order it so i should have it fitted early next week thanks, dave

Sorry 4mobora, I completely missed the fact that you've got a Bora and not a Golf VR6!! You probably don;t have the 'air trumpet' that I was going on about!

Please update this thread once you've got your K&N fitted to let us know if you're pleased with the results.

• 2 weeks later...

well its on and i love it if i drive sencably i cant hear it and it sounds like a normal v6 but when i boot it my v6 grin gets bigger lol what an amazing tune i turn the sterio down just to hear it. it also is definatley more responsive to the pedal i just would like to test it against other v cars in the same league to see how she copes