My 1998 VR6 has just had a new Aircon radiator and now the compressor has blown all the gas/oil out of its bearing seal.

It is said that a second hand compressor will not be any good because its bearings will have dried out and it will very soon (a week maybe) do the same as the one on the car.

Second hand one £100 with 3 months guarentee, new one £300 from Swedish and German - it may be worth the gamble because I work with air con. systems so regas not a problem !! what do you think ?

What is VW part no for a compressor please, and how does it come off the car - my handbook has this section missing for some reason (says in index it is section 87 none of which is on the CD version of the handbook which I have)

Does anybody have this compressor removal info. which I could copy please because it looks a bit of a nightmare.

Also when the compressor is removed can a short belt be obtained anywhere so that the car can be run without the compressor.

Hope somebody can help.

Matty (500comet)

Thanks for the offer of the compressor - what is its background - I gather also the VR6 one is different from the Mk3 Golf,Passat etc mainly because the pipes are in a differnt place.

I am not very good at driving this site, so how do I find your telephone number /email address so we can discuss the details of the sale etc.

500 Comet

Thanks for the info. about the belt. I have made enquiries and been told that The Gates Manufacturers belts are as follows for the VR6 :-

No A/C 7Pk 1288 Prrt No. 78388

With A/C 7DPk 1363 Part No 78394D

I believe that the 1288 and 1363 refer to the length, the "D" means it is double sided and the "7" is the number of ribs.

Hope this info. is correct and of use to somebody who wants to run without the compressor while problems are being sorted.

500 comet

Thanks for reply about aircon compressor, but have difficulty understanding internet jargon. Son's mate says I do not have the facilities you mention. Can we sort costs etc by email or telephone please which I understand - I have big problems even finding how to send this message and never seem to be able to navigate the site easily.

For instance I can not now find your last message which seems to have fallen off the end with no way of asking for another page!!!

My email is mattynjane@btinternet.com