Hi, I'm new to the forum. Bought a VR6 a month or so ago. Basically its making a noise which occurs only in first gear. If I rev it in neutral or pull off from near standstill in second the noise doesn't occur. Dont think its the timing chains and figure its the gear box? The car is Nov 1997 model and 73k on the clock. I have listened to the recording on fourm of the dodgy timing chains and pretty sure its not that. Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Guest awesome

Hello, new member here, but owned my vr6 for 3 n half years, got the same problem, and comfirmed today at a vw place that it's more than likely to be the thrust bearing on your clutch, mine now makes this clicking noise in 1st and 2nd, and sometimes 3rd and could also be a gearbox problem ... ouch I know ... good luck.

Been trying to get a recording of the noise but no joy. Difficult to pick up on a mobile phone, My mrs obviuosly using the phone I wouldnt do that and drive at the same time..... Its due a service so I'll get it checked out soon enough.

Thanks for your comments guys.