usb drive on my usb equiped headunit

one for all you techy's out there, i have a usb equiped head unit but when i plug my usb hard drive (2.5" in a caddy)in it just comes up no disc, ive tried formatting it for both fat32 and ntfs but with no joy, so i bought a cigar lighter usb device power supply but when i plug that in the stereo dont even reaslise there is a usb device plugged into it, any help you guys can give would be great as its driving me nuts, will i just have to use flash drives instead of a propper hard drive

ok i'll try plain fat as ive already done fat32 and ntfs, but im probably playing a long shot as it was just a hope it would work, ive measured and checked the voltage/amp out put of my stereo's usb socket and its within the operating range of the hard drive, but it may not actually know what to do and be only usable for flash memory, sd cards for the sda card slot and numerous size pen drives which all work. im just being greedy as the hard drive is 40gb and i can get most of my films on that instad of 4 or 5 on my bigest flash memory, lol

I think you may have the same problem I had. Bought the Sony head unit with front USB, plugged in my Sony mp3 NW-E405 and same result. The "old" ones don't play out through USB only the headphone jack - you need a new one NW-E005 that can (or Samsung). Anyone want a NW-E405 going cheap?

• 2 months later...

A hard drive wont work as it needs a driver to run it, you need a flash drive, preferrably a plug and play (no operating software needed)

Try one of these

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/904303/SanDisk-2GB-Cruzer-Crossfire-USB-2-0-Memory-Flash-Drive/Product.html

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/904304/SanDisk-4GB-Cruzer-Crossfire-USB-2-0-Memory-Flash-Drive/Product.html

use one of them for my stereo and ps3, it needs no software and im yet to find any device that wont read it