problem is rack end' date=' just bought a new steering tie rod which comes with track rod end and tie rod end...

there is loads of movement on ball joint.[/quote']

Pete

I think I'm in the same boat so I'm trying to get some info on how to tell if a rack is gone.....

I dont have massive play at the wheels when the steering is turned, but the car does wander and there are a few clunks from below when I shake the steering back and forth....

I thought that you solved the massive-play-at-the-wheels problem as you'd found it was one of the ball joints between the rack and wheel....? What else did you find that now means your rack is fooked?

Jules :(

Hi Jules, you have the same symtoms as me, apart from the movment in my steering wheel has got worse.

Vince said him self that the movement appeared to be in the ball joint, however upon replacing it, and having another look, he diagnosed the rack is gone.

£180 for the rack, 2 hours labour at stealth to get it repaired. I need to sort my cash flow before I get this booked in, however it's getting progressivly worse the more I drive it!

A tell tail sign that it's the rack, is that there is more of a noise from the right hand of the rack than the left as the steering colum is there.

yeah - mine is in dire need of attention. Its really hard work driving the car now as it wanders all over the place - but it mainly pulls to the left which is the ar$e as it makes the car very tiring to drive!!

I've replaced most of my front and rear suspension over the last 6 to 8 months - new Bilstein Sprinline kit, new steering control arms, lower ball joints and also had the rear axle bushes done.

Car still pulls left after two attempts at tracking..... %-6

So - to sum up what I know so far about my steering:

1) pulls left (not hard, but you have to hold the steering wheel firmly)

2) quite heavy steering when car is stationary

3) wanders - not precise

4) steering is more responsive when turning right then left (I think)

The car geernally feels like its always heading for a hedge (mind you, that could be the way I drive it!)....

So I think I'm convincing myself that I need a new rack.

ARSE!

Jules

[ Edited Thu Jul 22 2004, 02:07PM ]

mine wanders all over the shop. It's even worse if i hit a bump or a pot hole. I'd say the knocking noise when u turn the wheel is the give away, however it only happens to mine when it's striaght, if i have any sort of lock on it, it's fine...

I was reading in the Bently that there is an adjuster on the rack (where the pinion is) - it says that you can adjust it until the knocking disappears - it takes some of the slack out of it.... but I'm unsure how much slack it could take up though...

Jules

• 4 weeks later...