Taking apart and putting back together

Im taking apart my 2.9 so I can fit the new bottom end..

Unfortunetly, it looks as though its going to be a 2.8 bottom end as I simply cannot find a 2.9...

Im trying to cough up the money now, as HiFlow heads reakon they can rebore the bottom end to near 3000cc capacity and supply over sized pistons for around £800.. Well, thats another story...

What I want to know is a list of things I shud check for when pulling apart... How to check for wear e.t.c, things I shud be careful off, certain 'ODD' tools I may need, and most importantly a list of things I'll need to replace.. such as stretch type bolts, gaskets e.t.c

Thanksss

Also, If I'm going to be running an 8 psi charger later don the line... would a standard gasket be ok with this? I'm guessig I'll need a new head gasket, so how much is one of these?

While its in pieces, are there any cheap-ish things I can do to benefit the engine?

a good h/g to go for is the mkIV 12v vr6 one (not 24v, 12v mkIV's are rare tho). don't think we got the car in this country though, so it may have to be sent in from abroad. PhatVr6 raves about them, and he got one sent from somwhere. think it alters the compression fractionally as well.

Ok, so mk4 one is no good when going with a s/c...

I got a fairly logical way of thinking, so am up for tackling any task really... I know the C.V boots and other external bits seem ok..

What I wanna know is how to check for internal wear and other things that I can't have alook at to see if anything needs replacing while its out...

Also, all the new parts I'll need, such as stretch type bolts for the flywheel?? gaskets e.t.c...

I'm not clued up with VR6 engines, so any advice as simply as it may seem wud be beneficial

thx

I'm sure VW do a metal headgasket for a 12v VR6. I've got the part no. somewhere which I'll post.

Yes' date=' you don't want a mk 4 gasket as it raises the compression. You want to lower it if anything.[/quote']

mkIV one is the metal one. and it lowers the compression i think, doesn't raise it.

Get a genuine gasket from VW or if you buy from gsf/europarts etc. make sure it is a victor reinze. If it's an elring gasket it won't last. I've just done a bit of research and the last word on metal gaskets is that they are thinner and raise the comp ratio so go with a standard gasket.