On my 96 Vr I have noticed that under the black plastic sill and coverings on the skirt, the metal underneath is starting to rott and due to this the covers are begining to come away from the car.

I had a 92 Vr Vento that did the same thing. Is this a common fault and is the solution to take them off and paint the bare sills or replace them with an aftermarket alternative.

Any ideas would be welcome. :(

Yep, mine have done the same thing. Plastic had started to bulge out and looks shite.

Decided to do something about it yesterday and have ripped off all the sills and the plastic wheel arches cos i dont like them either.

I should have taken a bit more care over it as ive damaged it a bit (i think some heat would have helped taking the glued bits off), but the paint and bodywork looks good underneath and after ive tidied it it should look much better without the plastic.

[ Edited Thu Jan 01 2004, 09:01PM ]

If you are talking about the black plastic sill cover, mine did it too on the drivers side.

Is it the top strip that has rusted? If so, this strip can be replaced for £20 + vat from VW.

I do not believe the aftermarket offers replacements for these sill coverings.

Also check in the door shuts under the rubber seal. Both our '96 VR's have rusted there too.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to local VAG dealer and bought the sill covers, the guy informed me that it is a regular problem.

The new ones were £25 each including the VAT and I've put them on which is a easy (they just pushed on, after cleaning the fitting bracket on the sill).

Just thought I would let you all know as i am sure i am not the only one with this prob which can be easily sorted.. ;)