Trust me dude the ramps round here are like mountains! lol.

I used to run coils before and they couldnt get the car on the ramp or the thingy that goes over the wheels when tracking on, sorry not sure what they are called.

I shoudnt see why dropping it would mess the tracking but what about camber etc?

I wouldn't take the chance. Set it at the height you want and then get it tracked. If its going on a ramp to get tracked, then it should be a flat bed no?

The tracking gauges i use are pre-historic, and wont do a wheel over 16", and definately wont fit onto the tyre if its slammed. At my previous employer though, we used a £30k piece of kit, that used a flat bed ramp, and laser return gauges that clamped to the outer edge of the wheel rim, thus doing a way with any problems regarding rim size and trim height.

Lowering the car, will adjust the camber due to load positioning and bushes etc.

My advice would be to find a garage with a decent tracking machine, they're more accurate too.

Sorry for the long reply, hope this helps.

I have used Pro-Tyre (Gupa P) who started in Plymouth for the last 15 years. They have all the kit bigjobbo describes and branches around the country.

I have had problems with inner tyre wear on the fronts (see related threads) and when quizzed they recokoned that MK3 Golfs need alignment checking every 2-3 months. Cost £5 to get it checked. £45 for full laser alignment.

Cheers

The height will effect the set up - more if you are setting it up for negative camber etc. (It is not a huge difference as you can appreciate) It is good practice to set it as you intend to run it as differing angles have differing effects - simple maths and physics.

Dont forget to run it bit first to let everything settle before you adjust it.

Get it done at a 4 wheel laser place and get the cast and camber set. Those places usually have either very low ramps or the ramp in the floor. so ride height is not an issue. As mentioned they actually locate the equipment to the inner lip of the wheels so ride hide is not an issue!

Costs a little more but if your spending x hundred whats an extra 30-50 (depending on where you live) to ensure it is done right.

Once you have done it you will see/feel the difference instantly ;)

I have used Pro-Tyre (Gupa P) who started in Plymouth for the last 15 years. They have all the kit bigjobbo describes and branches around the country.

I have had problems with inner tyre wear on the fronts (see related threads) and when quizzed they recokoned that MK3 Golfs need alignment checking every 2-3 months. Cost £5 to get it checked. £45 for full laser alignment.

Cheers

I use Pro Tyre in Plymouth, never had any probs, always helpfull and u gets a print out ;-)