How do I know when my timing chains / guides are worn?

cheers mate...yeah i just dont have the fianance 2 get em replaced right now i was told 1450 for 2 new timing chains and labour...i drive the car daily and its been like this for some time now bout 4 months ..just dont want anything serious 2 go wrong

cheers mate...yeah i just dont have the fianance 2 get em replaced right now i was told 1450 for 2 new timing chains and labour...i drive the car daily and its been like this for some time now bout 4 months ..just dont want anything serious 2 go wrong

That price sounds about £800 too much based on prices I've been getting and what other people have been paying!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i had a quote a while back to replace my timing chains and yes obd2 engines do have 2 chains top chaind and a bottom to top chain price was £1200 quid at vw in loughbrough, but was told they would do the whole lot for a special price of £600 all vat inc as long as i didnt mind them using the car for the younger mechanics to have a go as they dont get them in that often

• 10 months later...

hi, can anyone give me a price breakdown for parts only for OBD2 engine like £top chain, £bottom chain, £tensioner(s) (i read their is 4 someware is this correct?) and any other chain related parts,

i'd like to do the work myself as paying someone large amounts of money(some on here say as much as a thousand£!) to fix a car which can be had for as little as £1500 for a near mint example is just not an option.

Ive owned a Vento VR6 in the past and ive gotta say thought what an amazing car, going to have a look at a golf at the weekend and the guy mentioned a very slight rattle which is worse when its cold but he says you can hardly hear it so that means it could just be a typical VW engine noise or it could sound like a tractor if he hopes some idiot is going to look at the car, oh the joys of buying a car these days eh lol

I've had a look and seen a couple of threads regarding timing chains, tensioners etc and quotes from garages for total cost but not an actuall brakedown of the parts cost, only an "about £260 for all parts" maybe missed a price list fancy pointing me at the correct thread Administrator?

• 4 months later...

If you suspect the chains need changing the noise will be a loose rattle sound,with the bonnet up and engine running the sound looking at your engine will be to your right,at the back of the engine upper you will see a large bolt that is one of the tensioner ajusters,the sound will mostly becoming from this area and to the right lower side, do not be tempted to have this tightened up to stop chain rattle as this could stretch an already stretched chain,and snap it,then your in big big £ land. I have had my 97 chains done on the 13th aug 10. Euro carparts for entire parts to do the job £164 Labour intensive so around£300-£350 labour.

Also obd1 92-mid 95 double chain at top single at the bottom,obd2 95-98 single chain top and bottom,know this before you order parts,the gear box has to come off for this job,as rocker cover,upper manfold so gasgets needed but not for gear box.if you need part numbers i could look them up. Dont risk driving it for too long you could live to regret it! ps you have a tentioner belt on the other side of the engine which goes around power stearing pump air con pump etc... you can get noise from here too and is alot cheaper to do than chains this should be done under routine maintanance say every 10-20 thousand miles .hope this is of help to anyone reading this.

Best regards Mike.

• 1 month later...

Just as a matter of interest,Nottingham VW quoted me about £1300 to replace the chains,when I hear the words about I asked for a written quote.It came to exactly £2050,did include a new clutch kit though,however that is an outrageous price and totally unjustifiable,have they ever looked at ferrari fixed price servicing,replacing a clutch on most of them is half that price