How do I know when my timing chains / guides are worn?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

changed it now lol

i think mine might be on way out :S

just started to make noise, after trip tp brighton n back,

I wont be able to do the job myself, so how much do you reckon i can get it dun cheap? or is anyone good at it and wants to earn bit of dosh? :)

Is it only OBD1 engines with twin chains that you have to worry about or are the later OBD2 single chains engines just as lighty fail. Mines OBD2 has 140 000 and was making a slight noise but i changed it anyway when doing the headgasket.

ill go listen again. more of a tinny rattle. It started after i had my decat put on. At first i thought it was summit to do with that, but took it to be selaed n they sed nothing's loose etc. n then when i came back from brighton today i heard slight kncking noise

• 1 year later...

Is it only [OBD1 engines with twin chains that you have to worry about or are the later OBD2 single chains engines just as lighty fail. Mines OBD2 has 140 000 and was making a slight noise but i changed it anyway when doing the headgasket.

Well, from the "how to tell the difference between OBD1 & 2", I've established that I have an OBD2 with twin chains.....I've only just bought it and they've jumped a few teeth(like that when bought). I'm replacing odds n sods and have an obd2,

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The only way that you know for sure if the timing chains is loose, is in the morning when the engine is cold, pay attention to the noise will come from the back of the engine(driver side). Thats the only way you will know, once the engine warm up it will shut up or less noisy. If the noise persist with the engine in temperature (HOT) you should think in replace them. Dont push it to hard when the engine is cold. Hope this help

ciao

The only way that you know for sure if the timing chains is loose, is in the morning when the engine is cold, pay attention to the noise will come from the back of the engine(driver side). Thats the only way you will know, once the engine warm up it will shut up or less noisy. If the noise persist with the engine in temperature (HOT) you should think in replace them. Dont push it to hard when the engine is cold. Hope this help

ciao

The only way that you know for sure if the timing chains is loose' date=' is in the morning when the engine is cold, pay attention to the noise will come from the back of the engine(driver side). Thats the only way you will know, once the engine warm up it will shut up or less noisy. If the noise persist with the engine in temperature (HOT) you should think in replace them. Dont push it to hard when the engine is cold. Hope this help

ciao

[/quote']

Must point out that in UK that will be passenger side....lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...