Nurburgring 2007

Looks like I might be on for this. The wife appears to have given this the thumbs up' date=' but only if we tag the 'Ring onto the beginning of our skiing holiday! We'll be trying to keep up in a Ford Focus 1600 ... diesel ... estate ... auto. Bugger. At least it'll get there, unlike the BMW!

[/quote']

LOL. You'll be looking to meet a nice porker owner again then.

I take it you (she) won't be camping ;-)

TG

Porker sounds ideal! As for her camping, we're travelling around Europe in the summer and camping then, so what's the difference at the 'Ring? That's my argument, at least......

Cheers,

Andy

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, lads. Will check with the wife tongiht, and book up the campsite, probably. It's £12 per person, not per tent, isn't it? That's £72 for the weekend, versus £170ish for the hotel. The wife can have the casting vote! Is there a problem with me having a top speed of little more than 100mph? I seem to remember speeds being a little more than that last time!

Cheers,

Andy

I'll camp in any weather - I enjoy it! Wasnt bad last April

Yeah per person Andy but you just pay when you turn up - dont think you can book it before hand

I cant see anyone that Im going with staying below 100mph :-* Unless James takes his 325i again and I get stuck in Belgium for another 8 hours ha ha

I'll camp in any weather - I enjoy it! Wasnt bad last April

Yeah per person Andy but you just pay when you turn up - dont think you can book it before hand

I cant see anyone that Im going with staying below 100mph :-* Unless James takes his 325i again and I get stuck in Belgium for another 8 hours ha ha

April showers? Just don't camp at the bottom of the hill! I don't know whether I want rain or not. Rain = snow = crap camping! Last time is exactly why I'm not driving the drift machine. Other reasons include death, cost, death, luggage space, death, comfort, death, and death. BTW, I nipped under 10 minutes round the 'Ring in a Ferrari 360 at the weekend. Forza Motorsport on the Xbox is particularly accurate!

Cheers,

Andy

Ha ha well yeah plenty of chances of death at the ring! That bike crash we had to deal with when we left the ring was extreme - the bloke didnt die tho he was so lucky.

It did rain 1 night last time but we had a fire & beer and coverage so we were well prepared. In April last year the camp site was host to some kind of quad weekend which meant it was quite busy and loads of quads were about but we easily got space but there was only 2 cars last April - looking to be a lot more than that this time!

If you get caught in France with a radar detector its a hefty fine (bloke we was with had had to pay £900 & they destroy it after) and he only got £60 fine and was clocked at 160mph in his RX7 - I've been 5 times now and have never had any trouble myself :)

ha ' date=' staying under 100 leptons.! whats the penalty abroad?? 2 years hard labour or a on the spot fine. im taking my sat nav and radar detector.

[/quote']

If you get caught in France with a radar detector its a hefty fine (bloke we was with had had to pay £900 & they destroy it after) and he only got £60 fine and was clocked at 160mph in his RX7 - I've been 5 times now and have never had any trouble myself :)

Quite simply, mount the radar detector behind the grille, and remotely mount the LED and siren in the dash. On/off switch in the glove box, or on the dash. Piece of piss!

Cheers,

Andy

Well I dont think the UK radar detaectors would pick anything up over there anyway so just no point full stop - road angels dont pick anything up over here unless the guns being pointed at the device, chances of that happening are pretty slim!

I'll just follow some one else.....so if anyone gets caught it won't be me. Not that i'd want anyone on here to get done for speeding

You say that, but was it 3 of us who got caught on the way out in September by the same froggy-cam? By the time anyone had said anything other than "cock" on the radio, it was too late!

Cheers,

Andy

I'll just follow some one else.....so if anyone gets caught it won't be me. Not that i'd want anyone on here to get done for speeding

You say that' date=' but was it 3 of us who got caught on the way out in September by the same froggy-cam? By the time anyone had said anything other than "cock" on the radio, it was too late!

Cheers,

Andy

[/quote']

Oh yeah, what was the outcome?

TG

P.s. Pete: What's rude about the word cock? I know a very nice male chicken who would take offence ;-)

So what does everyone do about breakdown cover for the ring itself as most places don't cover it. And do you mention it to your insurance company, i know you have to tell em about going into Europe with the car, but about the ring?

Sorry its all questions but I wanna make sure everything is sorted so I can concentrate on getting the car ready

The frog cams flash but they dont follow them up for us brits as far as I know - I was flashed on the way back & heard nothing.

No point in mentioning that your going to the ring in your car they wont cover u if you go off but do let them know your driving to Europe. To be honest you'd have to do something pretty spectacular to need recovery from the ring unless your car breaks down going round - you shouldnt be trying to break the magic 10 mins on your 1st trip, just take it in your stride and enjoy the drive, its really easy to get caught out due to the nature of the place, a few words cant describe what you'll feel driving round it :0)

These, and many more answers are at:

www.nurburgring.org.uk ( all hail Ben, we're not worthy... )

A highly recommened read, full of do's and more importantly don'ts

In short:

No, no, NO! Do not even ask your insurer, the answer will be no for sure and it will help raise the 'Rings 'presence'.

By law it's a public road during tourist driving so your insurer can't get out of any 3rd party claims. However many companies are now excluding "de restricted toll roads" so you may be less lucky with your own damage. Saying that though, I have read recently, again thanks to Ben, that someone did get it in writing that the Nordschlief(?) would be covered as it does (technically) have a couple of restricted sections. Not that I'd be able to tell you where ;-) If you do need to query 'de-restricted toll roads', the M6 toll is a good example to use.

As for breakdown cover: only ADAC membership will help if you break down on the 'Ring itself, otherwise it's E175 to get recovered to Adenue. The AA Euro cover will leave you be if they suspect you have been on the 'Ring, no matter where you break down.

TG

You say that' date=' but was it 3 of us who got caught on the way out in September by the same froggy-cam? By the time anyone had said anything other than "cock" on the radio, it was too late!

Cheers,

Andy

[/quote']

Oh yeah, what was the outcome?

TG

P.s. Pete: What's rude about the word cock? I know a very nice male chicken who would take offence ;-)

I was just wondering what the outcome was. I can't remember who got snapped other than us (I was with Aswad). As for the word cock, it's deeply unsatisfying to see it masked in my post. What a cunt!

Cheers,

Andy