I need to put together a toolkit that stays in the car for those inevitable holiday breakdowns. One thing I'm not sure about is jumper cables.

Will pretty much any set of decently heavy-duty jump cables do the trick or is there something else I should look for like electronic surge supressors etc etc?

Nope You used the words yourself. Decent heavy Duty leads. If you're not sure they're good enough then use two sets as they share the current and that should help.

Having had a friend who was stuck on the M11 the other year Ovenight in the snow could I suggest one of those little fold away foil blankets and some energy bars (they last for ever) in your kit. May sound a little extreme but one of the best £2s you'll ever spend.

Nice to see somone doing a kit. Were you a cub scout??? ;)

Just get the heavy duty leads,

had to rescue a mate last year and he got these string like cables out of the car. I found it funny as they looked like 12 volts would melt them. Anyway they didn't carry enough charge over from my battery so I showed him my heavy duty leads and his car started first time.

Thanks guys - I wasn't sure if there were any sensitive electronics that might go bang. I've jump-started my K-Series Minor Traveller plenty of times with it's built-in jump leads but thought I'd check anyway ...

Do the foil blankets come in doubles? ;) "ohhh sorry honey, we seem to have broken down in the middle of nowhere .. in the cold ... ;);)"